Author Topic: Look-up or help with Witnesses Please? J HOOD St Giles in the Fields 18 Aug 1778  (Read 594 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Hello

John Hood of Scarborough, Mariner, Widower, married Sarah Hammond, Widow, by Licence, [under Camden on Anc.] at St Giles in the Fields, on 18th August 1778.

The nearest surname of the second witness looks like ... Stephens? Perhaps you have other suggestions.

Also wondering about the first witness too, perhaps Jno ?

--------

We got this via our Library, but also wonder if this couple had children baptised at St Giles in the Fields?

The original full size image is poor, but have left the extract of the signatures at full size and MS auto correct has made the lettering slightly bolder.

--------

Thank you, Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up or help with Witnesses Please? J HOOD St Giles in the Fields 18 Aug 1778
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Firstly, the Bondsman is not I believe John Roe - I think this is a common use of a fictitious man " John Doe" - I've checked the following two Bonds and they are the same - John Doe on both.

I agree with the surname Stephens on the second witness - but the first is a complete mystery - have you thought about putting it on the 'Handwriting, Deciphering and Recognition' Board ?

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up or help with Witnesses Please? J HOOD St Giles in the Fields 18 Aug 1778
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 September 18 00:22 BST (UK) »
Hello

Well Claire, I didn't think there was a lot to decipher  ;)

Unless it can enhanced by an RC expert, what does the moderator think?

I live 110 miles from the Archive and wondered if someone local was going sometime and might take a peek please of the original, unless Rootschatters can enhance it enough, for us to work it out?

I have auto corrected one, trimmed, darkened it and then reduced it about 50% to take out the blurring.

ADDED
Trimmed and compressed one.

Opened the image up to 100%, darkened, screen print & trim. Looks a bit like ... Wickes ?? from other side of the room. Requires a bit of screen tilting.

Hickes or Wickes ??

Thanks Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 September 18 05:25 BST (UK) »
Possible - Hickes or Wickes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 September 18 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Thank you dobfarm & Claire.

Although I suggested Jno, now Jn', but also wondered too, if first name might begin with a T.

I have seen John abbreviated as Jn'  in old Manor documents.

A slim possible Jo' or Jos' , but not convinced, although parts of some letters appear to be too light to read in the surname, until darkened.

I don't think F would fit in the forename with what it seems to look like on the scan.

Hickes or Wickes is not a name we have come across. I was hoping for a surname, previously come across, or linked to a Scarborough Hood.

Mark