Author Topic: Smith/Dove marriage.  (Read 76 times)

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Smith/Dove marriage.
« on: Wednesday 05 September 18 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Folk's another long shot here,thank's to the good folk on Rootschat we have identified
my Gtx3 Grandfather John Smith was born in Scotland around 1795,now thank's to a family
tradition of giving the mother's maiden name as the middle name of the children tracing various
family lines has been made a lot easier,one name has eluded us which is Dove,my brother seems to
think there could be a link to Roxburgshire I wondered anyone has come across a Marriage of a
Smith/Dove which would have been the late 1700's?
Regard's Steve.
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead).

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Smith/Dove marriage.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 23:06 BST (UK) »
1750 - 1820 ScotlandsPeople Banns and marriages (Church of Scotland) has this one

John Smith and Janet Dove
2 July 1773
Parish number 808
Ref 20 242
Parish - Stichill and Hume (google tells me this is in Roxburgh)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 23:21 BST (UK) »
Many thank's Crisane,look's promising as his parent's is there resources on Scotland's people to see
any children I wonder?
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead).

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 23:48 BST (UK) »
Yes you can search the baptisms index for free (you have to register)
I had a quick look and there are 85 births 1773 - 1820 Roxburgh to a father John Smith but none with the mother as Janet Dove or just Janet or just Dove. In some instances there is just the father's name.