Author Topic: Library of Birmingham  (Read 564 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Library of Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 September 18 10:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.

Yes smudwhisk - on the other side of the world! So luckily, it seems, I have not been aware of the sorry state of libraries. How sad to have all that information there, and it gets harder and harder to access it. I have been lucky that a lot of my dealings have been with County Record Offices, and they (at least the ones I contact), still run a research AND a copy service.

I seem to recall you can you still ask for a quote for a copy of a document that hasn't already been digitised and downloadable, on the NAtional Archives discovery site KGArrad? Although I think the last time I did it it took an awfully long time to get a reply.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 September 18 13:50 BST (UK) »
I seem to recall you can you still ask for a quote for a copy of a document that hasn't already been digitised and downloadable, on the NAtional Archives discovery site KGArrad? Although I think the last time I did it it took an awfully long time to get a reply.

When I needed a lookup at TNA (Railway Records) it was cheaper and quicker to use an experienced researcher.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 September 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
goldie61

I plan to go to the Library of Birmingham in about 4-6 weeks time. If you still need someone to help then drop me a PM. The last time I went to the Archives at Birmingham you had to make a firm appointment well in advance and to let them know the items which you wished to view. In other words no requests on the day.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 September 18 00:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your kind offer ScobieDrom.
I will send you a pm.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs