Author Topic: London port  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
London port
« on: Wednesday 05 September 18 23:42 BST (UK) »
Im hoping to solve the long mystery as to who John Bay's parents were and where he was born in England. John Bay was born abt. 1619. At age 16 he left London port on August 10 1635 aboard the ship "Safety". William Ayres paid for John's transportation and filed a headright claim on him in Norfolk Virginia 1642.
The clerks at London port had to have recorded information of each passenger tha left. Where could I find a passenger record for John Bay and would it say at least where he was from or any information besides his name and age?
BAY; Bayes;Bays

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: London port
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 September 18 07:36 BST (UK) »
Colony of Virginia 1619
On record keeping for newly arriving passengers.
BAY; Bayes;Bays

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 September 18 07:46 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 September 18 08:14 BST (UK) »
There are no passenger records, either in or out of the UK prior to 1890.

Earlier records weren't kept; from the Port of London, or any other port.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 September 18 12:47 BST (UK) »
The attached text that refers to "The clerks" seems to refer to a register that survives.  The OP hasn't said where that text comes from but if it is an American source then it maybe the lists exist in a American or Canadian archive, or the article may say where the records are held.  So my guess is that even though in general, port records haven't survived, this article seems to describe an exception.

Just an observation as I have no particular knowledge of these things.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 September 18 20:36 BST (UK) »
The attached text that refers to "The clerks" seems to refer to a register that survives.  The OP hasn't said where that text comes from but if it is an American source then it maybe the lists exist in a American or Canadian archive, or the article may say where the records are held.  So my guess is that even though in general, port records haven't survived, this article seems to describe an exception.

Just an observation as I have no particular knowledge of these things.

There wouldn't be port records as such.  My feeling is that whatever lists survive would be in the archives of the organisers of the voyage (most likely the Virginia Company) - but I have no idea where they would be.  Perhaps in the National Archive?

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 September 18 22:00 BST (UK) »
The attached text that refers to "The clerks" seems to refer to a register that survives.  The OP hasn't said where that text comes from

The OP's first extract posted is a transcription of a section of the Registers of Licences to pass beyond the seas, 1573-1677, held as E 157 at the National Archives. The third extract appears to be a description of this same source. The original images for E 157 can be seen on FindMyPast. The relevant list gives only name and age (as transcribed).

The other main source for passengers at this period is in CO 1/8, also at TNA, which FindMyPast has included in its database Early Emigration From Britain 1636-1815.

I'm pretty sure the OP will be aware of both these sources.  ;)

I'm afraid the chances of finding place of birth, parents, or anything of much genealogical use from transport lists at this period are remote. A more profitable route might be to search for a connection or document at the American end that mentions a place of origin in England. It can't be assumed that everyone who sailed from London was a Londoner.

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 September 18 10:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys!..i hope my thread topics havnt been a nuisance. I've kind of gave up after tracing and gathering every scrap of information on my directs Bay ancestors back 11 generations. A distant cousin of mine wrote a book not too long ago, SOME MEMBERS OF THE 18TH CENTURY COLONIAL BAY FAMILY by Tommy L West  PhD
https://books.google.com/books/about/Some_Members_of_the_18th_Century_Colonia.html?id=Xd0sYAAACAAJ

I hadnt discovered the book until about 2 years inti my geneaology research. After all the research he had done he wasnt able to go beyond Baltimore Maryland. So I guess I've been driven to "solve" the mystery and enable me to link my pedigree or family tree to one of 3 or 4 specific Bay family lines in the British Isles. After I took a y-dna test (I-L126; I-FGC20048 Haplogroup) I was even more motivated. I-L126 DNA Haplogroup is now considered to be indigenous to the British isles and has been archealogically discovered a number of times with the remains dated to the early and late Bronze age
BAY; Bayes;Bays

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 September 18 12:06 BST (UK) »
Do you know how the proceedure to transport someone to America worked?  Would they have known the emigrant?

I ask this incase it means that the 15 people William Ayres transported, all came from the same area.