Author Topic: David Spurr b.c.1779  (Read 812 times)

Offline Spurr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Spurr b.c.1779
« on: Thursday 06 September 18 01:15 BST (UK) »
Need help finding baptism/parents/siblings of my 2xgt grandfather.  In 1851 Census he is shown as born Walton Yorkshire, lived at Rose Farm Walton nr Wakefield died before 1861 census.  Married Anne Spink of Warmfield 1811.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Betty Wilson (nee Spurr)
New Zealand

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Spurr b.c.1779
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 September 18 07:38 BST (UK) »
I can't readily see a baptism for David in the available C of E records on Ancestry and FindMyPast.  I assume you have his burial - 7 March 1861, aged 82 at St Helen, Sandal Magna.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 September 18 10:16 BST (UK) »
I can't see a baptism either, but some other items:-

Death: Q1 1861 David Spurr aged 82 Wakefield Union District.

From The Leeds Times - 30 November 1867:
On the 14th inst. at Newmillerdam, near Wakefield, aged 81, Ann, widow of Mr. David Spurr, of Walton, near Wakefield.

From The Leeds Mercury - 15 May 1841:
On Tuesday...
Same day, at the parish church, Sandal, by the Rev. T. Westmorland, Mr Wm. Moody, railway inspector, to Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Mr. David Spurr, farmer, all of Walton.

David

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 September 18 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Betty

If no C of E baptism, I do know some of the *Spurr family of Selby, West Riding of Yorkshire, were English Presbyterian. The English Presbyterian Selby Registers seem to be missing from 1680s until 1797.

ADDED: * Sorry, the above should read SPEAR.

I still hope to find a Will, or some other document. Unfortunately only the York Wills that were stored flat were scanned and online. There many many more Wills in Bundles (before 1858) and a Conservator has look at these first, but all the ones I have ordered from the Borthwick at York, have been scanned and emailed for the usual advance fee payable.

I know it is not David Spurr, but a Spurr near Wakefield, in the Leeds Intelligencer, 25th March 1777, newspaper ...
The above Woods are of Twenty-two Years growth, and lay very near the Turnpike-Road leading between Wakefield and Dewsbury.
The said Mr Robert Spurr, will shew the Woods. For further Particulars enquire of Mr Wood, of Tingley; or Mr Sykes, of Dewsbury.

I am not saying he is the Father, but just a Spurr surname in the locality of Wakefield, to begin with, around the birth period of your ancestor.

Mark

Offline Spurr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 September 18 20:26 BST (UK) »
Many thanks BumbleB, DCB (David) and BushInn1746 (Mark) for your kind replies.  I do have information from 1811 when he married Anne Spink at Pontefract Tanshelf RC Church and promised to bring up their children in the Catholic Faith a transcript showed that a note was added that he had broken his promise, my own family descendants of his 3rd son Thomas born 1818 were non-comformists so your suggestion Mark is a valid one and I also appreciate the reference to Robert Spurr and see if I can find any information regarding him.

Appreciate all replies and suggestions.

Betty

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 September 18 21:04 BST (UK) »
I do have information from 1811 when he married Anne Spink at Pontefract Tanshelf RC Church and promised to bring up their children in the Catholic Faith a transcript showed that a note was added that he had broken his promise, my own family descendants of his 3rd son Thomas born 1818 were non-comformists so your suggestion Mark is a valid one and I also appreciate the reference to Robert Spurr and see if I can find any information regarding him.

Appreciate all replies and suggestions.

Betty

Hello Betty

Regarding Catholic Registers they didn't deposit all of them in County / Regional Archives in England and if after checking the Yorkshire Archives (try WYAS Wakefield), you have no joy, you may need to write to the nearest Roman Catholic Church direct and enquire if they can check around the baptism date.

Difficulty here is, he might have been baptised somewhere else and not everything Catholic is online yet, was the general message a few years ago?

Microfilming of Catholic Registers is much more recent (when compared to Parish Registers) and some of those that survive, microfilming and transcribing had still not been completed, I heard fairly recently.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 September 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Betty

This is a bit early. The Returns of Papists 1767 (Vol 2 by the Catholic Record Society, p.51).

However, the 1767 Return of Papists for much of Yorkshire, only used first initial and first letter of surname, with the first initial of spouse adjacent, ages, some occupations and how long the person had been resident.

Parts of North Yorks have a forename and surname.

Wakefield, 21
12 sets of letters and 2 boys, 7 girls under 18, noted

In 1767 no S surnames are listed, under the main Wakefield heading.

----------

In old Parish Burial Registers, occasionally you see Papist written against a name, but they were not always highlighted, neither were Nonconformists (NC), although some NC Ministers were noted at burial.

One newspaper claimed, some not baptised C of E were buried under [next to] the Wall in Parish Churchyards and at night after dark.

However, my late Grandfather whose Father was Butler to a Lord of the Manor said, if you were a wealthy local businessman or Lord, you could get the prominent plot you wanted in the C of E whatever your faith was.

So where the grave location was (is now) in a C of E Churchyard (if it has not been cleared of memorials and the Sexton Grave Plan lost), does not always suggest what religion your Ancestors were.

Local Burial Boards / Borough (Council) Cemeteries (generally start as Churchyards were closed in the 19th Cent) and General Cemetery Company cemetries (started from about the 1830s onward) tend to have Consecrated and Non Consecrated grounds.

Some Nonconformist (NC) who could afford the transport and the grave, were taken to places like Bunhill Fields Cemetery (nondenominational), London. Looks to be quite old.

The Memorial Inscriptions for Ballast Hills Burial Ground (NC) at Newcastle upon Tyne taken about 200 years ago, indicate that Cemetery goes back over 300 years. Sadly the early Registers are missing before about 1792 and the Memorials taken out and laid in the ground for paths.

Oh I have rambled!

Mark

Offline Spurr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 September 18 23:52 BST (UK) »
BushInn1746

Mark thank you for comments you have an extensive knowledge of the subject.   I assumed, and I know I shouldn't, that he was not of the Catholic faith as he was asked to confirm he would bring up the children in that faith upon his marriage.   Most of his children and their descendants were of the Roman Catholic Faith possibly with the exception of my own gt grandfather Thomas Spurr.   I have been trying to trace David's ancestry for many years now without success, if he was a Catholic there is still hope something will come online eventually at least before my time runs out.