Author Topic: 1891 - Coulson - South Shields - *The house, not the people*  (Read 4460 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 - Coulson - South Shields - *The house, not the people*
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 15 September 18 12:13 BST (UK) »
Added: I forgot to mention, yes, old-maps uk is subscription/pay to view. You have probably worked out that you can see a certain amount free but you need to pay up to see the detail. The site used to be free, but a few years ago they decided to make it "pay to see the good stuff".  ;) I have not checked recently but you used to be able to pay for a month's access, which might be handy if you only have a few places to look up. I have moved onto the NLS maps which are fine for most lookups. The side by side option and the ability to scroll is very useful.  :)

The amount of detail you can see on https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/ depends very much on which maps you view, also you can view the National Grid 1/1250 sheets which have house numbers marked. The 1/1250 maps are only available for Scotland and the London Area on the Scotland site.
If you click on the four arrows in the top right corner on old-maps you can go to full screen and scroll the whole area, you are not restricted to one sheet as you are on the Library of Scotland site, also you can go straight to a location if you know the post code, or the national grid coordinates.

Stan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 15 September 18 12:25 BST (UK) »
You can scroll the NLS maps too without being restricted to one sheet.

And on old-maps you don't need to be in full screen to be able to scroll ....

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 15 September 18 13:03 BST (UK) »

If you go to the NLS map and choose a map from the right hand side you can only scroll within the sheet lines of the map, if you want to go outside the area you have to choose another sheet from the list on the right. On old-maps you are not restricted to the sheet lines of the individual map the map is seamless over the whole country. I know you can scroll without being on full screen I did not think it worth mentioning. On most maps on the old-maps site you can zoom in to get full details, and you can easily see down the left hand side all the available maps for that area. It is up to the individual to use what they prefer, or use both if they want.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 15 September 18 13:11 BST (UK) »
I generally select the map series from the left:
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=6&lat=53.3995&lon=-3.0305&layers=102&b=1&point=0,0

Yes, it comes down to personal preference. Both have their merits.  :)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 15 September 18 13:14 BST (UK) »

If you go to the NLS map and choose a map from the right hand side you can only scroll within the sheet lines of the map, if you want to go outside the area you have to choose another sheet from the list on the right. On old-maps you are not restricted to the sheet lines of the individual map the map is seamless over the whole country. I know you can scroll without being on full screen I did not think it worth mentioning. On most maps on the old-maps site you can zoom in to get full details, and you can easily see down the left hand side all the available maps for that area. It is up to the individual to use what they prefer, or use both if they want.

Stan

If you select ‘side by side’ maps on NLS then you can, as Ruskie says, scroll seamlessly, as you can on Old Maps.

The disadvantage with this is that the NLS range of old ‘scrollable’ maps is rather restricted.

Nevertheless it’s a useful facility, particularly with it also being beside a modern map/aerial view.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk