Author Topic: Early Nonconformist ministers  (Read 794 times)

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Early Nonconformist ministers
« on: Thursday 06 September 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have been researching in-laws of in-laws again.
I found that a Mary Heywood who married into my extended family in 1840's was descended from The Reverend Oliver Heywood (1629-1702) who 'ejected' from his church by the Uniformity Act in 1661.  There are several books written about Oliver Heywood, some in 1800's and most include a form of family tree going back to John Heywood "in the time of Edward VI".  I have been transcribing this tree into a genealogy program - but not yet linking it to my tree.
As a result the program I am using is offering hints to records written at the time the births, deaths etc actually happened - I think!
Rev Oliver Heywood died in 1702and according to the books he is buried in Holswort's chapel in Halifax chruch and a very blurred Finda grave photo seems to confirm this.  However a hint has taken me to transcript and image of Noncoformist record from Cheshire. which implies he was buried in Dukenfield in Cheshire.  Other entries on the same page in the register mentions other events that did not take place in Cheshire - death of King William, coronation of Queen Anne.
So after a long preamble would the record of Rev Oliver's death and burial in this register be a similar recording of an event of importance ather than suggesting he is buried in Cheshire?
I will try to add an image of the record.
Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Early Nonconformist ministers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 September 18 13:01 BST (UK) »
The book appears to be recording events concerning Non-Conformists of note & that are not necessarily burial records & these are mixed amongst the Parish Register.
So a record of deaths of Non-Conformists happening elsewhere.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 September 18 13:12 BST (UK) »
That's what I thought. 
So the transcription on Find My Past implying burial in Dukinfield, Cheshire  should instead be just taken as acknowledgement that an important Nonconformist Minister had died.
The two pages (of which I only posted a part) contain several interesting entries.  When I have time I might look at other pages.
Thanks for you insight.
Jan

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 September 18 22:13 BST (UK) »
The entry mentions Northowram. which is just to the northeast of Halifax, so burial in Halifax seems very likely.

It looks like a "news report", which gives us an insight into what seemed important to somebody in Dukinfield at the time.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 September 18 22:20 BST (UK) »
Have you seen his entry in the Surman Index?

https://surman.english.qmul.ac.uk/main.php?personid=13815&parameter=Advminister&field1=ministers.name&search1=heywood&field2=ministers.name&operator=and&datetype=birth

It doesn't give his place of burial, but there's plenty of other information on him (click View Card Images, 3 separate tabs).

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 September 18 08:25 BST (UK) »
That is a great find.    Thank you.
There are some of the other names on the list at the left that look familiar, Eleizer, Nathaniel and John are all family names.  I will check them all out.
Jan