Author Topic: Can anyone find William Bull's death - probably in or near Stortford?  (Read 1360 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone find William Bull's death - probably in or near Stortford?
« on: Thursday 06 September 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
William Bull bac married Mary Livermore sp on 26 Jan 1833 at St Michaels Bishops Stortford.
On the 1841 census they are both listed as 25 (Mary was born 27 Feb 1814, don't know when William was born). They are living in Newtown, BS in same street as Mary's parents (Daniel and Hannah Livermore), Mary's brother (Daniel jnr and his wife Elizabeth and son Daniel (even  more junior)) and Mary's sister (Ann Sumner and husband James - so it all looks a nice happy extended family.
In 1851 Mary Bull is living or staying with mother Hannah now widowed. Mary is recorded as married. In 1861 Mary is living with brother Daniel, recorded as widow.
But I can't find a death of a William Bull anywhere of the right age.
Can anyone find him please.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone find William Bull's death - probably in or near Stortford?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 September 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
I read Mary as "Married" in 1851/61/71 -and not until 1881 do I read her as Widow.

Do you have William in any census later than 1841?

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 September 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
Well spotted, yes you're right, I had noted her down as widow from 1861 onwards. In 1841 thereare two William Bulls in BS of similar age - "ours" with Mary and the other with (probable) wife Ann. In 1851 and 1861, there is one William with widowed mother Millicent and younger siblings. In 1841 there is no William with this Bull family, but he could be either of the Williams. Now it looks like Mary and William may have separated and William went back to live with his mother. I haven't het found William in 1871, but from Mary's marital status he is likely to have died between 1871 and 1881 censuses not between 1851 and 61 as I first thought.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 September 18 09:13 BST (UK) »
William Bull s/o William and Millicent was born 31 Jan 1809 and bapt at St Michaels on 24 April. Later children of the couple baptised at Water Lane Chapel, where Mary and three of her siblings were baptised.
I don't know what happened to the William (with Ann) after 1841, but it looks as if the one with Millicent is "ours".
I have a note that Mary was buried in same grave as her brother (or at least commemorated on same headstone) rather than with her husband, so might indicate an estrangement.
There's a William death reg in BS in Q1 1873 age 65. Age a year out

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 September 18 10:30 BST (UK) »
William Bull was buried St Michael's BS on 21 Feb 1873. Abode-Union House, age 65
Ann Bull was buried St Michael's BS on 14 Oct 1873 (also from Union House) age 72

Could Union House be the workhouse as there were many burials from there?

Also Martha Bull of The Dells bur 23 Feb 1875 St Michael's BS, age 59.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 September 18 11:08 BST (UK) »
Yes I think Union House was another name for the workhouse.

Ann Bull may be the wife of the other William I found in 1841 and the William in the workhouse may be Ann's William not ours. I will have check censuses again to fin William and ann couple and eliminate them.

I have our Mary's death as 2 Jan 1893. Just checked notes again, she was buried in same area in BS cemetery as her brother not same grave as I said earlier. I took photos of headstones some years ago, but the were film and I never scanned them.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 September 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
Found Ann Bull and family in 1851, she is a widow, There is a death of a William Bull age 65 in Q2 1849, but William is 30 (30 - 34) on 1841 census. Found marriage of a William Bull wid to Ann Jarman spinster in 1828, so maybe William was a lot older than her and age was recorded wrongly in 1841.

So the William with mother Millicent and died in the workhouse does look like ours