Author Topic: Lockhart family of Arran, Ayrshire Scotland  (Read 5665 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Lockhart family of Arran, Ayrshire Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 06 September 18 23:31 BST (UK) »
I am seeking help on locating the Family of
John Lockhart (about 1818)
Married:  Isabella Campbell (1823)

Where did you get this information from re: birthyears?  There is no marriage on SP or Family Search and no 1851 entry to support the parents names/birthyears given.

I think it may be worth knowing which child on her list Jule is descended from as the trail may be on the wrong track?

Agreed- it has already been shown that 2 of the children listed belong to completely different families
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline julefamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 September 18 06:26 BST (UK) »
Mary Frances Lockhart  1882-1981 was my husband's Grandmother.  She married a Philippine from a wealthy family. They were married in San Francisco, Calif. May 16, 1902. Announced in the San Francisco "Call" newspaper  Her spouse was Vicente Lucio Flores  Legarda. 1873 -1956  He was an accomplished architect schooled in Glasgow.  Mary Frances married 3 times.  2nd husband was John Alfred Lee and 3rd husband was Carey S Lord.

My husband;s fathers birth name was Vicente Benito Vernon Legarda 1903 - 1966.  He changed his name to John Vernon Lee when he was a teenager - young man,
Ireland:  Langan, Langham
Wales:  Williams, Jones, Evans, Bembo, Hill
Slovakia:  Hudack
Pennsylvania USA: Langan, Williams, Hill, Bembo
New York: USA: Fergueson, Lee, Dineen
Philliphines:  LeGarda
Scotland:  Lockhardt

Offline julefamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 September 18 06:41 BST (UK) »
Family history has Helen's surname as Moffat

Offline julefamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 07 September 18 06:46 BST (UK) »
1871 census   104/039 microfilm     Nat Archives UK,     family search

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 07 September 18 07:00 BST (UK) »
Do you have Mary Francis's marriage or death certificate, and if so does it name her parents?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 07 September 18 07:03 BST (UK) »
As requested - please post full 1871 details

1871 census   104/039 microfilm     Nat Archives UK,     family search

I think Carole was requesting that you provide a transcript to make it easier for us to refer to it.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 07 September 18 07:05 BST (UK) »
Family history has Helen's surname as Moffat

Is that recent family history? eg, has a family member undertaken some family history research in the past and perhaps come to this (incorrect?) conclusion?

Regarding the information you have already supplied - is this your own research or did you get it from someone else? Do you, or they, have documents or other evidence to back up your findings?

There seem to be a few inconsistencies so perhaps going back to the beginning might be worthwhile to ensure you are tracing the correct family.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 07 September 18 08:22 BST (UK) »
So Mary Frances Lockhart is the apparent link back to the people you named in your first post.

Looking for her in the index on FamilySearch and ScotlandsPeople came up with Mary Frame Lockhart, which (without purchasing the image) I felt was probably her.  Frame could be a poor transcription of Frances.  Her birth date is given as 25 Oct 1881.  Is this correct - do you have her birth date at all to compare?  Although I suspect not since you only gave a year of 1882.

The previous child listed in your first post is Ann with a birth year of 1881. Looking for her in the FamilySearch index, she is definitely the child of John Lockhart & Helen Moffatt and her birth date is 7 April 1881.

The only Mary Lockhart that I can see born in Hamilton in 1882 is shown in the ScotlandsPeople index but not FamilySearch.  And there is no middle name of Frances  :-\

May I ask where the the birthplace of Hamilton came from?  Is it from an official record?

The census references or addresses (especially since searching we cannot be sure whether the family was in Scotland or England at any given census) where the family has been found would be useful to know so that we can look to see what other clues might be gleaned.

I'm having real trouble tracking where the Fernancy Jane reference has come from.  I can see that the family of John & Helen (Moffat) moved from Scotland to England to India, back to England and then Scotland again from the 1881 census record, but the addition of this child in 1871 so soon after John in 1870 is puzzling, especially since I can't find any likely looking child on SP or FamilySearch.  Can you enlighten us as to where you found this?

We all love puzzles, but I'm concerned that we may be following the wrong path here.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 07 September 18 09:15 BST (UK) »

Looking for her in the index on FamilySearch and ScotlandsPeople came up with Mary Frame Lockhart, which (without purchasing the image) I felt was probably her. 
Nell

From SP:

Mary Frame Lockhart
(The middle name does look like FRAME but could be France. Second letter is hard to discern but does not look like other "r"s on the page. It definitely ends with and "e").

Born: October 25th 5PM Hallhome,(?) Newphlar*,(?) Lanark

Father: John Lockhart, farmer
Mother: Margaret Lockhart, MS Peat
(they married Nov 9th 1880 in Lanark)

*Though the word looks like Newphlar though this must not be right - I think some research is needed to determine the correct place name.

Added: presume the place is Nemphlar  :)