Author Topic: Lockhart family of Arran, Ayrshire Scotland  (Read 5485 times)

Offline julefamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lockhart family of Arran, Ayrshire Scotland
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 02:07 BST (UK) »
Rosie  Thank you - This looks very interesting.  All looking for "Keane"  Could very well be "Kean" - "Cain"
Thank you very much,  Great detective work
Ireland:  Langan, Langham
Wales:  Williams, Jones, Evans, Bembo, Hill
Slovakia:  Hudack
Pennsylvania USA: Langan, Williams, Hill, Bembo
New York: USA: Fergueson, Lee, Dineen
Philliphines:  LeGarda
Scotland:  Lockhardt

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 02:36 BST (UK) »
I have the surname Kean in my FH with a few variants (from my own on genuine docs)...

Kean, Kain, Kaine, Kane, Cain & Caine

I have seen numerous others on transcriptions too  ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Uistman59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Monday 12 November 18 22:12 GMT (UK) »
That birth was certainly very interesting to me Annie, as the child was the seventh child of my great-great-great grandparents, Archibald Cain/Kane/Kean and Isabella Lockhart. Sadly the unnamed girl died two days afterwards but from that I found confirmation of the number of children to look for. The certificate says that they were married in Glasgow in 1835 but I haven't found that in official records as yet.
I believe that Archibald died in 1860 but unfortunately the death cert is so faded that I can't make anything of it at all.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Monday 12 November 18 22:15 GMT (UK) »
I believe that Archibald died in 1860 but unfotunately the death cert is so faded that I can't make anything of it at all.
If you get a certificate from Scotland's People and you can't decipher it, report it to them and they will re-scan it for you.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 01:33 GMT (UK) »
That birth was certainly very interesting to me Annie, as the child was the seventh child of my great-great-great grandparents, Archibald Cain/Kane/Kean and Isabella Lockhart.
I believe that Archibald died in 1860 but unfortunately the death cert is so faded that I can't make anything of it at all.

Uistman...glad it was of use/help!

Any chance of you posting the doc to see if we can decipher anything meanwhile in between you getting a reply & a better scan from SP?

P.S. Are you from Uist yourself? I have many connections with S/Uist (my paternal line) & of course Eriskay, hence my username, where my g g/mother was born  :P

Annie

Edit...to add...Ahh, are you who I think...I MacK?  ;)

Jings, I may be able to send you some info. on Kean/Cain (variants) which I can't fit into my own lot so far? Info. I've acquired in my own research over the yrs.
We already share Uist connections although we're not related so it would be a shock if we had Kean/Cain connections too  ;D
I'll look at what I have in my 'Strays' folder i.e. ones I've downloaded but not found a connection yet  ::)
Will either email or PM you them on fb!

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Uistman59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Edit...to add...Ahh, are you who I think...I MacK?  ;)

I am indeed he !! :) Hee Hee

Offline Uistman59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 12:57 GMT (UK) »
This was the birth of Archibald Cain's unnamed child. I don't have the copy of Archibald's death - It was a few years ago and I think I was so disappointed that I just deleted it, so I might just get another copy as  Forfarian suggested.