Author Topic: Methodist minister  (Read 2614 times)

Offline LDaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Methodist minister
« on: Thursday 06 September 18 20:52 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was illegitimate and he had nothing to do with his father (or his father had nothing to do with him.)  I was on ancestry.co.uk during the free weekend and it now brings up a potential father.  It doesn't show, as far as I can tell, the source of the information.

The suggested man is Frank Hughes, born 01/01/1890.  I tried searching under Frank and Francis but as I've no clue where he was from I didn't get anywhere.  Obviously I don't know how close the suggested birth date is.

When I was younger I remember being told my great grandfather was connected to the church.  He was later described as being a Methodist minister.  (Is there a way to track down a Methodist minister?)

My great grandmother was Margaret Emma Rossington and she was born 8 Oct 1890.  She lived in Lincoln at the time.  I've know idea how long her relationship with Frank Hughes(?) lasted.  Her first marriage was in 1912 when she was 21 (my grandad was about 3 then).

Can any of you sleuths help?

Thanks

Offline LDaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Methodist minister
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 September 18 21:10 BST (UK) »
No idea (not know idea)!!  All week I've had to proofread more than once and still I'm writing rubbish like that!

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
North East of England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 September 18 01:39 BST (UK) »
If I have the correct person i.e. Arthur Rossington and his biological father was in the Methodist Church why -although born 1909, why was Arthur not baptised until 1951??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 September 18 01:52 BST (UK) »
there is a Frank Randall Hughes birth reg 1st qtr 1890 Navenby Lincs
He is Charles marshall and family in navenby in 1891 (age 1 nurse child) 1901(age 11 lodger)
I didn't find him in 1911
However it seems he was killed in action 23 Mar 1916 France and Flanders having enlisted at hereford into Shropshire Light Infantry

Maybe?????

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LDaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 September 18 06:58 BST (UK) »
Suzard - the family became friendly with a clergyman at that church and got baptised.  (That info threw me when I came across it but my Dad confirmed it was accurate.). I never knew him as a churchgoer.  I saw the Frank Randall Hughes but had nothing to link him as I could find no occupation.  I'm not sure if people were Methodist ministers alongside their days jobs.  At least the Randall part might help if Candleflame's link proves productive.

Candleflame - I'll take a look at that this evening.

Offline LDaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 September 18 18:03 BST (UK) »
Candleflame - I couldn't find info via that link but they do have an online chat option.  Questions go abroad outside of UK office hours and the librarian from Nebraska wasn't familiar enough with the resources to help.  They've saved my question for next week so fingers crossed for then.

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 September 18 20:58 BST (UK) »
Lincolnshire Chronicle - Saturday 18 September 1909,
Affiliation order made,
Francis James Hughes, an Iron turner of 10, Barton Street, Lincoln. was summoned by Margaret Emma Rossington , a milliner of 46, St Hugh street, in respect of a affiliation order, Mr G E B Padley appeared for the complainant and the defendant who was represented by Mr W S Page denied the paternity. Mr Padley said the defendant in this case was only 17 and the girl 18. They had been keeping company since April 1907, and after the defendant knew the complainants condition He still continued to walk out with her, calling at her place of business for her,  - complainant in the witness box said defendant had never denied being the Father of the child, - evidence was also given by Emma Rossington the Mother of the defendant - the bench made an order upon the defendant to pay 1s 6d a week until He is 21. and 2s 6d a week afterwards, until the child attains the age of 14. They also ordered Him to pay court costs 12s 6d, the doctors fee £1 1s, and solicitors fee £1 1s. The chairman said He thought this case should neverhave been brought   to court, but might have been easily settled in a amicable manner.
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.

Offline LDaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 September 18 21:55 BST (UK) »
Wow!  That is perfect.  Thank you so much.  Do you think it's an error that Emma Rossington is described as the mother of the defendant?  (Emma Rossington, nee Burr, was Margaret Emma Rossington's mother.)

Thanks Eilleen