Author Topic: BAY Maryland  (Read 373 times)

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BAY Maryland
« on: Friday 07 September 18 14:37 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to continue the genealogical research on my Bay family. There is a John Bay who arrived in Norfolk Virginia and 1635 as an indentured servant for William Ayres to pay back debt owed for transportation John Bay was 16 years old when he left the London port on the ship Safety August 10 1635. There is possible speculation that this John Bay is father of The John Bay below. I'm starting to think it could be possible that it is another John Bay.

I need help figuring out if John Bay, pre1661-1700, immigrated to the colonies or if he was born in the colonies. Would it be possible to find records containing the names of his parents? My goal is to find out which Bay family line/pedigree in the UK to which my branch of the Bay family is decended from. The only info I have on John Bay is that he was born
pre1661- died abt.1700. As to when John Bay arrived in the Colonies I'm clueless, but from records maintained by the Maryland State Archives, i found him listed in 1694 taxes in the South Side of the Potapsco Hundred along with Ralph Barrow and 3 slaves.

By 1695
he has moved and is taxed in the North Side Potapsco Hundred with William Peart and Thomas Smith. In 1699 he is still in the North Side of Potapsco Hundred, listed with William Pervill, Thomas Lact, Robert Carvil, Robert Taylor and Edward Stivenson.

On 1 May 1699 he is listed as a debtor in the Maryland estate of John Weals. In 1700, he again pays taxes in the North Side of Potapsco River with William Pearle, Robert Taylor and
Joseph Fellitt.

By 23 Jan 1700 he is dead, as his estate is inventoried in Baltimore. Two servants are mentioned: Robert Taylor & Ellinor Bassett. His estate is appraised by Thomas Herdoch & Wm
Auquath in St Mary's City on 13 Mar 1702. Further administration papers are recorded on 22 Mar 1702 with his Administrator Daniel Crowley.

Lastly, from Testamentary Proceedings
in Talbot County an additional account by David Leblatt of Talbot Co "who intermarried with Ruth Bays who was Administrator". On 29 Apr 1703 Mr. Leblatt has paid an allowance of
Tobacco to Mr. William Harris and Valentine Carter. No records can be found that show why the administrator changed from Daniel Crowley to the presumed widow, Mrs. Ruth Leblatt.

The child of John Bay is:
John Bay Jr. circa1682-1739+
John Bay Jr. Is shown in the 1703 Baltimore Testamentary Proceedings  in the Maryland State Archives to be holding 6 acres in Baltimore. He is in the 1706 Baltimore County taxes in the Northside of Potapsco Hundred along with Capt. Rich Colegate, Martin Wolff, William Nelson and 3 slaves.

Thank you very much for any advice, insight, and help. I greatly appreciate it.
BAY; Bayes;Bays

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BAY Maryland
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 September 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hey, thanks I didn't think about it. I just want to post each thread in the proper forum section.
BAY; Bayes;Bays

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 September 18 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hey, thanks I didn't think about it. I just want to post each thread in the proper forum section.

No problem.  You are quite right to post in the appropriate forum - sometimes it's helpful to others to know what's been found so they don't fill up this thread with duplicate information.

Good hunting  :)
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 September 18 15:33 BST (UK) »
I agree, and thank you.
BAY; Bayes;Bays