Author Topic: Two locations for identification  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Nevthedigger

• RootsChat Member
  • Nevthedigger - digging bottles, artefacts, history
    • View Profile
Two locations for identification
« on: Friday 07 September 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
Does anyone recognise the two locations shown here? The village seems to have some petrol pumps in view, and the other I guess is a school or college.
Ossett history, Cussons chemist, Ashby in Dallowgill, Yorkshire.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Two locations for identification
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 September 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
Nice pictures - can you give us any hints about provenance, such as:

Did you inherit/buy/find them together (meaning they might possibly be connected), or separately?

If they were from a person you know, can you tell us anything about schools or places they might have been connected with, or even just visited on holiday?

Or if they came from a charity shop etc, whereabouts in the country was it?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nevthedigger

• RootsChat Member
  • Nevthedigger - digging bottles, artefacts, history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 September 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
All I can suggest is that they were in a mixed lot, from Yorkshire. But the locations may have been places visited.
Ossett history, Cussons chemist, Ashby in Dallowgill, Yorkshire.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 September 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
The top picture gives me the impression of a rectory,albeit a very grand one as in this watercolour of Harrogate Rectory

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01moj/

Regards
Roger

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 September 18 19:22 BST (UK) »
The house is certainly of the same scale as the vicarage, but I thought Nev's suggestion of a school might be a bit closer to the mark, as the adjoining building seems to have a small turret for a school bell.

Nevertheless, I was a bit puzzled about the relative sizes. The school looks relatively small, but the house (the headmaster's?) is quite big. And then there are the houses of similar age and style just beyond, looking as though they could all be part of the same complex.

Actually I've just noticed at the far left what looks like the gable end of a church or church hall, or perhaps the side aisle of a church, with the main nave roof behind. So maybe it was a church and school development, with the vicarage and curate's house in between, and the teacher's house at this end.

As for location - very difficult. It doesn't look a heavily built-up area, and the shadows suggest the school may be facing roughly south. And are the buildings brick with stone?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 September 18 19:44 BST (UK) »
Re the first picture - it is so like the school that my OH went to. It's not the same but very similar.  Built circa 1897.

Is that a set of petrol pumps on the second one - back left?  That one reminds me of Yorkshire.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 October 18 21:13 BST (UK) »
Having been reminded of happy days on such identification puzzles,I thought I would bring this recent one back to the top,particularly for the buildings.

Regards
Roger