Author Topic: A72 and Honeybank Rd. Carluke  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Graeme77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A72 and Honeybank Rd. Carluke
« on: Friday 07 September 18 17:14 BST (UK) »
My great grandparents are listed in the 1901 Scottish census as residing at no 30 Honeybank Rd in Carluke. Honeybank Rd has now become part of the A72. I have looked at the section of A72 through Carluke on Google Maps and there are some turn of the century houses in existence - any ideas how I can translate 30 Honeybank Rd into a current address? Intend visiting Scotland soon and want to visit as many of the ancestor sites that I can locate.

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A72 and Honeybank Rd. Carluke
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 September 18 01:01 BST (UK) »
hi don't know if this is of any help www.carlukehistory.co.uk/ it has a contact them box on the site they may be able to help you with local knowlage of area

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 September 18 07:00 BST (UK) »
I have checked "Honeybank Road 1901" using FindMyPast's address search. It returns 3 households for the Parish of Carluke and 15 households for the Parish of Carnmunnock. None of the addresses returned has a house number.
I am looking at the transcribed details only - I do not have access to the original documents. The originals may well include a house number which has not been transcribed.
The transcription gives the schedule number for each address and it includes schedule no. 30. Have you established the house number from the original document?

Also, are we talking about the A72 or the A721? 

Offline Graeme77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 September 18 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi harrywrag and hanes eulu, thank you for the response.

I have an image of the original census document which shows at least 6 houses (30-35) in Honeybank Road, Parish of Carluke. I referenced this to the A72 from the position of Honeywell Farm which still exists, so I am pretty confident it is the A72.

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 September 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
Having had a "walk" through the census on Ancestry I think Honeybank Road is Belstane Road. Previous to Honeybank Road is Dyke Row and following is Chapel Street see
NLS maps for their location at https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=55.7389&lon=-3.8336&layers=168&b=5. The problem is Newbarns is in enumeration district 2 and Honeybank Road is in enumeration district 3, Chapel Street is also in enumeration district 2 which may mean that enumeration district 3 covers the east side of the road. To confirm the location you will need to look at the description of the enumeration district at the beginning of the book, I am unsure how you can view this on ScotlandsPeople now as there used to be a button for this which does not appear now.

Eric

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 September 18 10:44 BST (UK) »
carlineric,
Thanks for that. That's the area I've been checking on Scottish maps. Unfortunately, not able to "walk" the Census on FindMyPast to identify reference points.

I checked newspapers online for any mention of "Honeybank/Honey Bank Road" - but a complete blank

Found a reference to Honeybank Row, Carluke - but not marked on any map.

Checked NLS maps for a street map of Carluke - not covered.

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 September 18 12:07 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1901 Census there are no entries for Belstane Road although there could be a transcription error.

Offline fancy nancy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 20:34 BST (UK) »
I was born and brought up in Carluke and I have never heard of Honeybank Road Carluke.
Honeybank in Carluke was not far from where I was born. It was only known as Honeybank and was miner houses. As far as the A72 this is no where near Carluke. That Road runs from Hamilton to Lanark along the Clydeside. The name of the person you are looking for would help and maybe I can help you as there was no more that 6 houses at Honeybank.

Offline weeaza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
According to Anc* there were 87 people in Honeybank Road, Carluke in 1901. 18 of them are showing as head of the house.
I've had a look at the original and it looks like Honeybank Road to me. I've attached a snippet.
I can't find Honeybank Road in 1881 or 1891.