Author Topic: A72 and Honeybank Rd. Carluke  (Read 1991 times)

Offline weeaza

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A72 and Honeybank Rd. Carluke
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 22:54 BST (UK) »
Honeybank Row gets a couple of mentions here  http://www.carlukehistory.co.uk/index.php .
Put Honeybank in the Google search box.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 September 18 00:39 BST (UK) »
SP - VRs (2 credits to view)

House Honeybank Belstane Road, Carluke (only 2 have house nos. 1 & 2)

Annan - Tenant Occupier - No. 1
Crawford - Tenant Occupier
Forrest - Proprietor Occupier/Proprietor (He seems to have 2 properties)?
Lammie - Tenant Occupier
MacKay - Proprietor
Paton - Tenant Occupier
Rogerson - Tenant Occupier - No. 2

You would need to look at the original to see who the Proprietor was for 1 & 2

House Honeybank Belstane Road, Carluke 

Seems to be only 3/4 houses...

Forrest - Proprietor Occupier
MacKay - Proprietor
Shearer - Tenant Occupier

One has a listing with Proprietor Occupier (name not attached but would show on the original)

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 September 18 02:55 BST (UK) »
In the image weeaza posted at reply #8, there is no house number. The number 35 is not the house number it comes under the heading "No. of schedule".

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 September 18 03:05 BST (UK) »
Belstane Road always seems to have been called Belstane Road:

1897 map:
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/284500/650500/12/100664

1892-1914 map:
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=55.7418&lon=-3.8291&layers=168&right=BingHyb

I wonder if just the small section of road by Honeybank was called "Honeybank Road"? I can't see it marked on any maps though.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 September 18 09:20 BST (UK) »
In the image weeaza posted at reply #8, there is no house number. The number 35 is not the house number it comes under the heading "No. of schedule".

I queried this at post #3 above - but received reply at #4, "confirming" house numbers (the frustration of not being able to view original!)
I still think we are chasing the family under schedule no 30 which I found under address search.   

Offline fancy nancy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 September 18 09:48 BST (UK) »
Who were your Great grand parents ?

Graeme, There is no Honeybank Road in Carluke as I said I was born and brought up right next to Honeybank. It had about 4 to 6 houses there and was just of Belstane Road. The houses belonged to the Coal board.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 September 18 10:03 BST (UK) »
I have an image of the original census document which shows at least 6 houses (30-35) in Honeybank Road, Parish of Carluke. I referenced this to the A72 from the position of Honeywell Farm which still exists, so I am pretty confident it is the A72.
The number 35 in the extract provided is not the number of the house in relation to Honeybank Road. It is the number of the house in relation to the whole of the enumeration district. I think this has already been pointed out twice or three times above.

Also Honeybank is not on the A72, which doesn't pass through the town of Carluke, and I don't think it passes through the parish of Carluke either - it is on the other side of the River Clyde. The main road through Carluke is the A73, but Honeybank is on a minor road off the A73.

The OS name book 1858-1861 for Carluke lists Honeybank as "Three tenements all one storey thatched and in good repair. inhabited by colliers. property of the Shotts Iron Company".

You need to look at the whole of the enumeration district and note all the other addresses in it, then compare them with a map. It is possible to do that by using microfilms of the 1901 census, which are available in many local libraries.

This map https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.7429&lon=-3.8300&layers=168&b=1 is almost contemporary with the 1901 census.

I can do a similar 'walk' using the LDS CD-ROM transcription of the 1881 census.

In 1881 six households (Paterson, Annan, Carmichael, Ritchie, Johnstone and Moffat) in Honeybank are listed in in Enumeration District No 2 of Carluke. Honeybank Road is in ED3. There are eight households (Marshall, Bulloch, Monteith, Fordyce, Gray, Forrest, Watson and Kelly) in plain Honeybank Road, six (Robertson, Scott x 2, Graham, Telfer, and Broadhead) in Flower Hill Cottages, Honeybank Road, two (Dick x 2)  in Windmill House, Honeybank Road and one each in Flower Hill, Honeybank Road (McFarlane) and Muir Cottage, Honeybank Road (Marshall).

Therefore Honeybank and Honeybank Road are not the same place.

In ED 3, besides Honeybank Road, are Hamilton Street, Kirkton Street, James Street, Old Bridgend, John Street, High Street, Crawforddyke Street, Dyke Row, Chapel Street, Budgreen, Woodend, Mount Pleasant, Rosemount, Howlands and three addresses associated with brick and tile making.

Honeybank Road is listed in two separate bits, with Dyke Row in between. The plain Honeybank Road households first, then Dyke Row, then the named houses in Honeybank Road.

Six households at Belstane are listed in ED4. Whitehill Farm is in ED2. Belstane Road is not listed.

I can find Dyke Row on the 1897 map above, and Howlands, and all the named streets, but not Budgreen, Woodend, Mount Pleasant or Rosemount, which are probably individual houses and not named on the map. Oddly, Newbarns, which is just off Belstane Road on the maps, is not listed in the 1881 census as far as I can see.

www.192.com lists a Flowerhill, 52 Belstane Road, Carluke.

What I think is that the 1881 enumerator walked along one side of what is now Belstane Road, recording the addresses as Honeybank Road, then along Dyke Row, then back along the other side of what is now Belstane Road. If so the houses listed in the 1881 census as being on Honeybank Road are indeed the ones shown on the maps as being on Belstane Road.

I have yet to find 'Honeywell Farm' but if is it indeed on the A72 it is irrelevant.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 September 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
Bringing things forward on VRs to...

1935 - VR010700599-

FORREST JOHN - Proprietor
HOUSE HONEYBANK 77 BELSTANE ROAD CARLUKE

YOUNG JAMES - Proprietor
HOUSE AND OUTHOUSES HONEYBANK 84 BELSTANE ROAD CARLUKE

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"