Author Topic: William Stanley, father of Thurston  (Read 2547 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Stanley, father of Thurston
« on: Friday 07 September 18 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hello There,

The above William Stanley was one of my 9x great granddad's.
His son, my 8x great was baptised in Deptford on the 21 of September 1704:
"Thurston Stanley, son of William a distiller of King Street."
The trouble is I can't work out who Thurston's mother was/ really much about the origins of this William. The baptism does not give the mother's name.

Quite a few trees on Ancestry have William getting married to Mary Webster in Deptford in 1687/1689. This might well be true. But I can't find any earlier baptisms of children by a William and Mary before 1704.
However, there was also a William Stanley who married in London around 1689 (I think to a Mary). But that William Stanley, according to the Quaker baptism of ANOTHER child called Thurston Stanley baptised in 1691 was a "Sugar Baker." That Thurston Stanley was buried in 1691.
According to the Quaker marriage certificate of that William, I think it stated he originated in Cheshire.

I have just subscribed to Ancestry. The two William's who had two Thurston Stanley's baptised seven years apart, in different places may well be the same. He could have got another job, and then married another Mary, after one died. And Thurston, I think was not a very common name. But I am not sure.

William's son, Thurston (born 1704) became a Weaver, and was apprenticed to William Bingley, on the 11th of April 1720 in London.
There is a "Freedom of The City Of London Admission Paper" for this Thurston Stanley, dated the 6th of March 1738.
It states down the left hand side that Thurston was:
"Son of Wm. Stanley, late of (?), distiller(?) dec'd."
I can't quite decipher where William was "late of." If anyone has any clues who also has acces to Ancestry, I would be very grateful regarding this. Here is a link to the original image:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/2052/32512_a063384-00879/866466?backurl=https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/108837364/person/422034320401/facts

So this must have obviously meant that William died before that date in 1738.
The closest I can seem to get, for a possible burial of William is one in Deptford on the 13th of July 1736:
"William Stanley, (a) Caulker (of?) Broomfields."
I presume a "Caulker" was somebody who worked with bottles, like distilling?

Anyway, if anyone has any information regarding the above and origins of this William, I would be very grateful.

Thank you very much.

:) ;)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Stanley, father of Thurston
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 September 18 21:50 BST (UK) »
A caulker was someone whose work it is to caulk ships, that is to stop up the seams of (a ship, etc.) by driving in oakum, or the like, melted pitch or resin being afterwards poured on, so as to prevent leaking.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 September 18 23:47 BST (UK) »
I can't quite decipher where William was "late of." If anyone has any clues who also has acces to Ancestry, I would be very grateful regarding this. Here is a link to the original image:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/2052/32512_a063384-00879/866466?backurl=https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/108837364/person/422034320401/facts

I think it’s probably Rotherith (= Rotherhithe, adjacent to Deptford).

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 September 18 07:48 BST (UK) »

I think it’s probably Rotherith (= Rotherhithe, adjacent to Deptford).

Thank you.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 September 18 07:55 BST (UK) »
Most family trees I have viewed have William marrying Mary Webster in Deptford in 1687.
But they show the pair as not having any children until around 1704.
One tree I saw also had William being baptised in 1668 in Warwickshire, son of a William George Richard Stanley, who was born in Lancashire. They have him in turn being a son of an Earl of Derby.

:)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 September 18 08:49 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't be worrying too much about other people's trees. Now that you have Ancestry, try looking at baptisms at Deptford to Wm Stanley (not William). There seem to be plenty of possibles to consider.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 September 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you ... I'll add the sugar baker reference to the database at the next update (over 500 new census entries later this month).

I've nothing factual to add to your post, though I do find the "two Williams with sons Thurston" a little hard to believe. There is a definite occupational link between a sugar baker and a distiller, and good reasons why one would move from the intense heat and long hours at a London sugarhouse to the relative ease of a distillery out in Deptford.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 September 18 17:50 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't be worrying too much about other people's trees. Now that you have Ancestry, try looking at baptisms at Deptford to Wm Stanley (not William). There seem to be plenty of possibles to consider.

Thank you very much for this.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 September 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you ... I'll add the sugar baker reference to the database at the next update (over 500 new census entries later this month).

I've nothing factual to add to your post, though I do find the "two Williams with sons Thurston" a little hard to believe. There is a definite occupational link between a sugar baker and a distiller, and good reasons why one would move from the intense heat and long hours at a London sugarhouse to the relative ease of a distillery out in Deptford.

Thank you,
I was wandering about that due to the fact I think that Thurston seems to be such an uncommon name.
There was one baptised 1691 to a William Stanley in London. And that Thurston Stanley died the following year. Then my Thurston Stanley was baptised 1704 in Deptford.
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what a Sugar baker was. In my mind I'm thinking somebody who made cakes, but I may be wrong. I find it interesting that you think there may be an occupational link between a sugar baker and a distiller.

:) ;)