Author Topic: Help with place name  (Read 972 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with place name
« on: Friday 07 September 18 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, can anyone help with the place name in yellow please? Transcribed by Ancestry as Rhoorobin 🤔

This is the 1911 census, Elizabeth Pugh at 88 Smithfield Rd, Wrexham; all previous censuses her birth place has been Wrexham.

Thanks. 😀
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with place name
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 September 18 23:46 BST (UK) »
It is Rhosrobin or Rhos Robin. It's near Wrexham.  I think we had relatives from there.

:)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 September 18 23:47 BST (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 September 18 23:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget, i could not find that, zoomed into Wrexham on google maps but Rhostyllen was the best i found 🙄

Makes sense too as she was married at Gwersyllt.

Another puzzle solved thanks. Night.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 September 18 00:00 BST (UK) »
Even better .... having changed her place of birth from Wrexham to Rhosrobin, Ancestry found her in 1861, though transcribed then as Rhenobin. Hadn’t been able to find her before her marriage so this is great. Thanks yet again Gadget 🌺

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 September 18 00:35 BST (UK) »
Just goes to show how a little hint can make such a difference. Elizabeth was with an older brother on the 1861, but with him to look for i found the family in 1851 so their parents, her baptism and numerous siblings (need to untangle them as they appear to be from an earlier marriage too) but so much just from changing place of birth.   

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 September 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
Funny how these old names stay in the memory. I've not been back for maybe 10 years!

Glad you got a good lead.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 September 18 11:20 BST (UK) »
Funny how these old names stay in the memory. I've not been back for maybe 10 years!

Glad you got a good lead.

It was an amazing lead, thanks, and the Denbighshire parish records are great too.

There were 12 children on the 1851, including several from each of the couple’s first marriages (and they had more). Found most of the baptisms which led me to the marriages.... except her first marriage was forbidden by the groom’s father at the third reading of the banns as they were both under age and living in a nearby parish. Yet the baby was baptised 4 months later 🙄. And his first marriage was with the ‘approval of friends’ - not seen that before!

Keeping me enthralled 😀 but plenty more to check, as one baby was baptised as a son of the couple more than 2 years after what appears to be the father’s death.