Author Topic: Griffith Williams  (Read 2077 times)

Offline twilight7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Griffith Williams
« on: Saturday 08 September 18 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone. I have been searching for a Griffith Williams 1863....found him on the following Census..1891,1901,1911, but besides a marriage certificate for the 15th February,1886 to Mary Ann Ashcroft, where it states Griffiths Father`s name is John Williams (other relatives say it was Thomas!) I can`t find anything else. Griffith was supposed to be born in Liverpool 1863,but I can`t find him or any Brothers and Sisters of his. His Father was supposed to be born between 1827-1830 in North Wales and a ships Captain in the same area, who married a Jewish lady who`s name I do not know. Not sure how to proceed, keep going around in circles on a website....any suggestions please would be most helpful. Thank you.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Griffith Williams
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 September 18 11:48 BST (UK) »
It would be a good idea to post the details of at least one census you have him on and give us reference numbers for them all to save us spending time searching for them.  It is always easier for us if we can see a census to work from.  ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 September 18 12:08 BST (UK) »
A search on the General Register Office index for 1863+-2years gives:
Sep qtr 1863 Liverpool vol 8b p87 WILLIAMS Griffith mmn PHILLIPS
Dec qtr 1865 Liverpool vol 8b p49 WILLIAMS Griffith Robert mmn ROBERTS

Have you discounted these two?

I'll see if I can find a marriage, but with surnames WILLIAMS, PHILLIPS and ROBERTS it could be needle-in-haystack time! (I was hoping for a Jewish surname, but maybe that's a family myth)

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 September 18 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone. I have been searching for a Griffith Williams 1863....found him on the following Census..1891,1901,1911, but besides a marriage certificate for the 15th February,1886 to Mary Ann Ashcroft, where it states Griffiths Father`s name is John Williams (other relatives say it was Thomas!) I can`t find anything else. Griffith was supposed to be born in Liverpool 1863,but I can`t find him or any Brothers and Sisters of his. His Father was supposed to be born between 1827-1830 in North Wales and a ships Captain in the same area, who married a Jewish lady who`s name I do not know. Not sure how to proceed, keep going around in circles on a website....any suggestions please would be most helpful. Thank you.

Just checking:
Griffith Williams born 1863 Liverpool - is this information from censuses?
Father's name John (from Griffith's marriage cert) - Does the marriage cert give John's occupation (or deceased)?
John might be Thomas, might have been born in Wales, might have married a Jewish woman. - Is this family anecdote or is there any documentary evidence?
Griffith's brothers and sisters - are any known and, if so, what names do you know?

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 September 18 13:12 BST (UK) »
Griffith Robert Williams did have a father John, a mariner, from North Wales:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VBNF-WP6
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27L-NFR9

(There is also a Griffith Williams father Thomas in the area, but he married a Lydia Rowland - perhaps this is where the family have gotten their Griffiths mixed up?).

From the marriage, he was 21 (born 1865) : https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NNSC-PNF, in 1891 he is 26 so also b. 1865, it's only later his birth moves to 1863.

As well as father's occupation, the full marriage certificate should give you an address for him and witness names who might be parents or siblings, these details can help confirm you have the right person.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 September 18 15:23 BST (UK) »
Welsh Mariners Index   http://www.welshmariners.org.uk/search.php

Search for a) John Williams b) birth year 1827 c0 Competency Cert No. 69159

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 September 18 15:29 BST (UK) »
also Griffith Williams son of Samuel Valentine Williams and Hannah born 24th June 1862
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 September 18 15:36 BST (UK) »
St Peter Liverpool
born 18th June 1863
baptised 23rd August 1863
Griffith Williams
father Thomas a mariner and Eliza
abode Wellington St
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline twilight7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 September 18 13:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone you have been brilliant (as always). I didn`t attach a Census because I haven`t used this method before ,so please bear with me  ::) I think I`ve got it now (hopefully ;D). This Census has a Griffith Williams and Mary Williams and a Mary A Williams 17 months (I think), but it dosen`t have the 2 older daughters Elizabeth born 1887 and Sarah born 1890...so may be it`s wrong. My Aunt who was quiet knowledgable about the family history was certain Griffith`s Father was a ship`s Captain and he married a Jewish lady. I have no evidence of a place of birth for John and I don`t know any names of Griffith`s siblings. My Grandmother said her Father Griffith had a middle name IFON,but I can`t find any proof of this either. Thank you all once again.