Author Topic: WW1 casualties  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 casualties
« Reply #27 on: Monday 10 September 18 07:36 BST (UK) »
A lot to think about.

My big doubt is May - census records put her birth around 1885, yet the gravestone shows 1863, almost 20 years. I just don’t know.

Edit. May 1, that is - assuming George/William married again the 1863 May would be May 2.

Confuzzled!
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 September 18 11:59 BST (UK) »
I meant to add that there is no birth in England 1870-1880 of anyone called Woodman with the mother's maiden surname of Baird, so the details on the 1922 marriage and later census don't add up.

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 September 18 13:20 BST (UK) »
I meant to add that there is no birth in England 1870-1880 of anyone called Woodman with the mother's maiden surname of Baird, so the details on the 1922 marriage and later census don't add up.

I think on earlier census, George/Williams father William, who marrued Harriet  Baird, gives his birthplace as England. Deliberate or accidental mistake with 1922 marriage and the census, maybe?
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 September 18 14:01 BST (UK) »
I'm voting deliberate.

For me the mother's maiden name of Baird plus the matching date of birth on the 1960 obit and the 1918 draft card are too much to overlook.  And although he's William George after 1922, the headstone reverts to George W. 

Finding out what happened to 'Mae 1' seems to be the key, and its odd that I can't find any trace of her before her marriage. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 10 September 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
There is an Oct. 1920 newspaper mention of Mrs. May Woodman of Rome coming to town to move her goods from one house to another and visiting her sister in Pittsfield.  That might fit with George running off to Virginia circa 1920 and her needing to get her stuff out of his house.   :-\  http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn92061740/1920-10-02/ed-1/seq-6.pdf

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 10 September 18 16:49 BST (UK) »
There is an Oct. 1920 newspaper mention of Mrs. May Woodman of Rome coming to town to move her goods from one house to another and visiting her sister in Pittsfield.  That might fit with George running off to Virginia circa 1920 and her needing to get her stuff out of his house.   :-\  http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn92061740/1920-10-02/ed-1/seq-6.pdf

From another paper with the Holmesville local gossip. It does appear they went their seperate ways.

NORWICH SUN
Monday , January 5th, 1920

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 10 September 18 17:28 BST (UK) »
Superb finds shellyesq and RJ!  :)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 10 September 18 17:49 BST (UK) »
Superb finds shellyesq and RJ!  :)

I agree! 

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 10 September 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
So the question now is, what happened to May Woodworth - May 1?