Author Topic: Wiliam Cowell, Robert William Cowell, Herbert Cowel,l Soho Southwark  (Read 900 times)

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wiliam Cowell, Robert William Cowell, Herbert Cowel,l Soho Southwark
« on: Saturday 08 September 18 19:30 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information about William Cowell who was born in 1824 in Marylebone and was a music printer by trade in and around Soho and Seven Dials. His son Robert William Cowell was born in 1846 in Soho. He was a metal worker by trade. His son Herbert Cowell born in 1879 was a metal worker like his father and was, I believe, later a member of the Labour party.
I am interested in finding out more about them and seeing any photographs if anyone has any, I'm especially interested in finding out more about the printer William Cowell, what type of music he printed and what happend to him and about Herbert's connection to The Labour Party.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wiliam Cowell, Robert William Cowell, Herbert Cowel,l Soho Southwark
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 September 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
William Cowell was deceased by 1899 as a city directory has Susan Cowell at 37 New Compton Street Finsbury, no William listed.

19 November 1900 Susan is admitted to Ladbrook Grove Infirmary, nearest relative Lily Cowell, 30 Clipston (lookslike) Street, South Kensington. Susan died there 18 January 1901 and is buried at St Marylebone age76.

There is a William Cowell buried at St Marylebone in 1890 that could be him.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 September 18 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hello
William Timothy Cowell baptised at St Matrylebone's s of William and Sarah Cowell father dec  16th July 1826.He was born 2 Feb? 1823.
His sister Elizabeth Emma born 27 May 1826 was baptised the same time.
Earlier baptisms for the couple give Dad as in trade or a mechanic.
Mary 9 Aug 1818 born 25th July ,William 30 Jan 1820 born 2 Sep 1819 (buried 11.2.1823 St Pancras?) ,David 17 Feb 1822 born 10 Dec 1821.David buried 22.8.1832 age 9 Union Court.

William Cowell senior a widower had married Sarah Deacon  spinster 19.8.1817 at St James Oaddington .Both made a x and were of that parish.
wit Mary Deacon and Wm Harmen

Dad was buried 19.4.1826 age 38 of Mitcham Street.

St Marylebone was obviously their parish church
Susan buried 18.1.1901

Sarah Deacon was baptised at St Marylebone 29.5.1796 d of Timothy and Sarah Deacon so William's was named after his Dad and grandfather.
Sarah remarried at Paddington 3.5.1840
George Ranfield bach lab Maida Place s of Richard plumber and glazier
Sarah Cowell widow Maida Hill  Timothy Deacon excavator.

wit  S and M Hitcham

William Timothy Cowell marries Susan Smith at St Martins in the Fields 22.12.1845.
He is already a music printer in Castle st and father William is given as a Mason.Both him and Susan sign.Her father is a Edward Smith fax dresser and she is in Bedford St.

Ciderdrinker

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 September 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
I was aware of some of those details but not all, thank you. One thing about William was that he seemed to regularly move address, I don't know if that is because of his occupation? I was especially interested to find out more about his trade as a music printer and would love to see photographs of any of the Cowells if anyone has any.