Author Topic: HOBBS William Any help in locating after 1851 appreciated  (Read 87 times)

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HOBBS William Any help in locating after 1851 appreciated
« on: Saturday 08 September 18 21:43 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate further information on a William Hobbs born 25 JAN 1837 Crawley,
His father was John Hobbs and his mother was Jane Gibbens   Jane passed and the last I can locate William is on the 1851 census when he is 14 and living with his father and second mother and has a occupation of Bakers son employed at home, the same as his elder brother Samuel.  This family had a history of being bakers and the profession runs through many lines.
Name:   William Hobbs
Estimated Birth Year:   abt 1837
Relation:   Son
Father's name:   John Hobbs
Mother's name:   Ann Hobbs
Where born:   Crawley, Surrey, England
Civil Parish:   Cuckfield
Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Maps:   
View related Ecclesiastical Parish
Town:   Cuckfield
County/Island:   Sussex
Street address:
Registration district:   Cuckfield
Sub-registration district:   Lindfield

The only other clue I found is a William Hobbs with correct age on on a Passengers list to New York where it states he is immigrating but his profession is listed as Labourer.
NameWilliam HobbsArrival Date28 Apr 1855Birth Dateabt 1837Age18GenderMaleEthnicity/ NationalityEnglishPlace of OriginEnglandPort of DepartureLondon, EnglandDestinationUnited States of AmericaPort of ArrivalNew York, New YorkShip NameSir Robert PeelSearch Ship DatabaseSir Robert PeelWilliam Hobbs - Apr 1855 - New York, New York London, England London, England - Male - Sir Robert Peel

I am not sure my William is the one immigrating.  If the profession was baker I would be pretty sure.   Could anyone have a look at the 1861/71 census and see if there is something I am missing as I cannot find a trace of him or give any advice.

Thank you and best wishes from Canada

Jim

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HOBBS William Any help in locating after 1851 appreciated
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 September 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
I can't see him in England in 1861/1871.  His step mother and half siblings are around.

It's possible he was a labourer at the time (if it was him emigrating) or that was the occupation required where he was going rather than something specific like a baker  :-\
Hinchliffe Huddersfield Wiltshire

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HOBBS William Any help in locating after 1851 appreciated
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 September 18 00:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking.