Author Topic: Wills - Originals or Registered Copies?  (Read 543 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Wills - Originals or Registered Copies?
« on: Saturday 08 September 18 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I'm just wondering if anyone here has a preference between the Registered Copies and Original Copies of Wills. The obvious advantage of the originals is that you can see the original handwriting, but the disadvantage of this is that sometimes it is harder to read the Will. With the Registered Copies they are generally much clearer to read.

Does anyone have a preference to which type they use or do people try to consult both?

Matt

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Wills - Originals or Registered Copies?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 September 18 23:02 BST (UK) »
I always try to get hold of an image of the original document - it makes me feel more connected to an ancestor.  Then I produce my own transcript.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 September 18 00:16 BST (UK) »
In an ideal situation where both formats are available, I would prefer to see the original, because the register copy is not strictly a primary source. But register copies, being formal court documents, should generally be reliable and they are often easier to access. So unless something needs cross-checking (e.g. damaged or incomplete), I wouldn’t normally take the extra time to chase down both. It doesn’t matter much, so long as you record which source you have used, in case a query arises later that you need to double-check. Just my opinion.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 September 18 00:37 BST (UK) »
I always try to get hold of an image of the original document - it makes me feel more connected to an ancestor.  Then I produce my own transcript.

Philip

Hi Philip

I agree with you that the original will makes you feel "more connected to an ancestor", to me it makes me feel closer, as if I'm literally seeing the document moments after it was written. Like you I try to produce my own transcript from an original and sometimes these can be quite interesting especially when the original spelling or wording is poor.

Personally if I can get both the original and the registered version that's the best scenario for me. The only problem I find that originals can have is the handwriting lol!

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 September 18 00:39 BST (UK) »
In an ideal situation where both formats are available, I would prefer to see the original, because the register copy is not strictly a primary source. But register copies, being formal court documents, should generally be reliable and they are often easier to access. So unless something needs cross-checking (e.g. damaged or incomplete), I wouldn’t normally take the extra time to chase down both. It doesn’t matter much, so long as you record which source you have used, in case a query arises later that you need to double-check. Just my opinion.

Hiya

Yes that's kind of what I was thinking. In most cases when it comes to direct ancestors or relations who I am researching in depth I will always try to get both versions, however sometime the registered version is simply easier to read.

At least it looks like it's worth having both.

Matt