Author Topic: Donald and Colin McKenzie: occupations?  (Read 417 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald and Colin McKenzie: occupations?
« on: Sunday 09 September 18 16:29 BST (UK) »
I'm in the process of eliminating a few Mckenzie possibilities and would like some assistance with the handwriting on the attached 1855 death certificate please.

I'd like confirmation of Donald McK's occupation and also an idea of the occupation of his father Colin Mckenzie.

Thanks in anticipation.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Donald and Colin McKenzie: occupations?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 September 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
Donald - Shoemaker -  Master

I think Colin is a Watchmaker -  Master
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 September 18 17:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosei - I had Donald as The Customhouse master  ;D

Now that I've read your posting - I agree with your every word.  Thank you very much for stopping by.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 September 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
I was also looking along the lines of Custom House master until I enlarged your snippet
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 September 18 21:38 BST (UK) »
Rena, earlier this year the Highland Family History Society published in its journal some pedigrees of the Inverness shoemakers.

Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 September 18 05:52 BST (UK) »
I don't know yet whether I have a connection to this Donald and Colin.  I also don't know whether it's my eyes or the modern computer technology that makes everything so faint and difficult to read these days. 

I was following another line of enquiry which eventually disproved a Mackenzie blood relationship that a cyber cousin had tacked onto his Mackenzie tree.    That's when my eye caught on the fact that I'd viewed the above 1855 death cert years ago when I was trying to discover the earlier Mackenzie generation.  I viewed it because I came across a newspaper article that stated a Donald M'kenzie aged 47 had died in Gallowgate.  At the time I recognised the address as the business address of my g.grandfather John Crum stationer of Glasgow. The death cert shows that the Watchmaker, born Nairn, coincidentally lived in Dovehill which was where John grew up and where John's mother and brother still lived.

The middle aged Donald could have had business dealings with the stationer, or could be related somehow to John's wife Jane Mackenzie. Perhaps an older cousin, or a young uncle, or perhaps not. I have no idea where her grandparents Donald (clerk of Clyde Iron) and Janet (Cameron) Mckenzie came from - I just know they both ended up buried in Tollcross, Old Monkland, in the 1820s.