Author Topic: Apprenticeship for young people from Harvey Goodwin Children's Home around 1945  (Read 2318 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Apprenticeship for young people from Harvey Goodwin Children's Home around 1945
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 September 18 18:11 BST (UK) »
Fingers crossed you get more information.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Special Needs Girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Apprenticeship for young people from Harvey Goodwin Children's Home around 1945
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 September 18 20:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dawn.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 September 18 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,

It may be an idea to list all the avenues you've already exhausted which will save others giving you the same 'tips'?

Have you managed to find out any info. from the Harvey Goodwin Home, do any survive?

Have you established which schools (primary/secondary) the siblings attended & what are the yrs of their births including Ronalds' to give an idea of where in the family he was i.e. eldest, youngest or ?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 00:18 BST (UK) »
Do you know what happened to Ronalds birth parents or any other siblings  ? Did you find them on 1939 register .

Maybe if he kept in touch it would be worth looking at their death certificates or wills to see if he ended up in a different town ...
Good luck with this search .

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 01:09 BST (UK) »
Birth parents are both on the 1939 register.  Father married in 1938 and Mother married in 1944.

No children to fathers marriage and one child to mothers marriage.  Birth father died 1999 but no mention of son in his will.

Child from second marriage only became aware that mother had another child shortly before mother died and has no other info about him.

From what OP has told me by pm every available avenue has already been investigated and the last hope is the apprenticeship angle.

Although unlikely - a change of name cannot be ruled out and nor can emigration.  All deaths with his birthdate have been checked out
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 01:39 BST (UK) »
Although unlikely - a change of name cannot be ruled out and nor can emigration.  All deaths with his birthdate have been checked out

Carole & Pam,

I would like to add, if Ronald died e.g. on holiday or in a place he may have been visiting, he may not have had ID with him i.e. may not have been 'formally identified' & equally if he'd moved, emigrated or such like?

If any of the above applied, there would be no DC with his name without any form of ID.

This seems a sad story Pam, do you know if the siblings were ever in touch after emigration?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
Yes Annie, we have thought of that.
Overseas that have records have been checked. Obviously there are some countries that do not have any but ......

The intermediary has had access to the NHS records and says that she can't find him on there after a certain date. This is why it is thought that he had changed his surname at least.

Unfortunately the siblings did not all meet. The one sent to Australia didn't even tell his family of his early life until the very end of his. He was not aware of his siblings.

All the children (cousins) of the siblings have met and are in correspondence. All trying to find Ronald.

Regarding emigration, no records have been found to indicate this.

(I offered to help because my grandfather's twin brother disappeared. They had also been put in a children's home but their parents had both died.)

Between us we have managed to come up with ideas etc. and then follow the ideas.
Unfortunately we have not been lucky yet. Me being in the uK helps a lot because I have access to records here.
I have been researching FH for a good number of years so she values my expertise.

Thanks everyone for all your help. All ideas have been gratefully accepted.
Best wishes
Pam

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 19:34 BST (UK) »
Such a sad story ..I hope you find him

You are allowed to post his deceased parents names ...which would help us

Have you tried looking for him or his descendants on any social media sites

Genes Reunited has quite a good section for looking for living people ...

Its nice that the other nephewsnieces are now in contact

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 21:27 BST (UK) »
Yes Brigidmac we have searched on social media sites, extensively.

If he were alive today he would be 87 years of age. Most people of that age do not use Facebook etc. so we have been relying on younger people to ask grand parents etc.

Every Pottinger, his mother's maiden name, has been contacted if they are on FB, Genes Reunited, ancestry etc etc.
Also the surname of the name given as his parents. We found the nephew of him and he was absolutely astounded to hear that his beloved uncle had had a child never mind a relationship with a woman prior to marrying his beloved aunt.
He has been asked to do a DNA test so that if / when Ronald / descendants are found the match can be confirmed or denied.

We are trying to locate the place of work after leaving school in the hope of finding others who worked there. Then of course trying to make contact.

Thanks
Pam