Author Topic: London company info Goldhawk Publicity Service 1929-1935  (Read 433 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
London company info Goldhawk Publicity Service 1929-1935
« on: Monday 10 September 18 12:31 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if anyone on here has the Companies House archive on DVD.  I'm too mean to pay £20 for it if there is no more info than I already have!

Goldhawk Publicity Service was listed in phone books as follows:
March 1929 phone book at 288 Uxbridge Rd, W12. 
Sep 1929, Sep 1930 and Feb 1931 phone books 158a  Blythe Rd, W14
Aug 1931 phone book at 7 Ridgemount St, WC1
Also in 1932 - 1935 phone books
Not in 1936 phone books.

However family members always called it Goldhawk Publicity Club in Shepherd’s Bush.  It offered a painting service - theatre backdrops and so on.

Goldhawk Publicity Services Ltd - listed in London Gazette 16th April 1937 under 3 months notice of being dissolved.

One partner was a family member Alfred Claude Campbell (an artist) but I don't know his partner's business name.  The family story is that Alfred took his partner to court over a copyright issue or theft of images but lost the case so Alfred was bankrupted.  I have not been able to find anything other than a notice in the Times in 1948, taken from the London Gazette, listing him under Receiving Orders. 

I thought he became bankrupt due to a court case at the time the business collapsed in 1937 but perhaps the various events were not at the same time at all.

I can't find anything else in the London Gazette but sometimes I don't spot things!

I am keen on finding out the business partner's name and perhaps further details of the civil court case.

Hope someone can help please.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: London company info Goldhawk Publicity Service 1929-1935
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 September 18 13:39 BST (UK) »
You could ask Hammersmith & Fulham local studies

https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/libraries/local-studies-and-archives

there's nothing obvious under Goldhawk Publicity in their online catalogue but they may have something indexed another way.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 September 18 15:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I shall have to ask my London-based relative to call in there. 
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 March 19 14:31 BST (UK) »
I found the company a couple of weeks ago!  Goldhawk Publicity Service not Services, referred to in a recently digitised set of The Bioscope publication (relating to films and their showing at venues) in 1930 on British Newspaper Archive online.  I also found company details in rates books held at Camden local studies for one of the various addresses listed in the phone books.  Hammersmith and Fulham rate books did not show the company at the addresses in their areas - I guess there was some sub-letting going on.

Having understood further the nature of the business, I now think that this was a sole trader and the court case may have involved a theatre venue that Goldhawk designed publicity boards for.   Now I need to look for any court case between one of the many theatres worked for - could be a long haul.
Crook, Bannister, Warren