Author Topic: Baptism dues paid  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism dues paid
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 September 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Threfall.. no. They did apply for a few short periods late 1600s/early 1700s.. for Registration of an entry.. haven't got the dates in front of me but someone else has already posted them. There were also burial fees for a short while. Now of course you pay wedding fees, but not for baptisms, though I think there is a fee for issuing a certificate of baptism.
Anyway.. none of this would explain why only one baptism entry says 'dues pa'd'... think I will have to accept that whoever was filling in the Register at the time aded something that meant something to him!
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Davies, Griffiths, Griffith, Jones, Ellis. Flintshire, Wales.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 13 September 18 16:13 BST (UK) »
Now of course you pay wedding fees, but not for baptisms, though I think there is a fee for issuing a certificate of baptism.

You can see a list of Parochial Fees at http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lbq/ which says the fee for a certificate of baptism is £14.
 It was not until the second half of the twentieth century that legislation provided for fees tables to be established on a national basis.The first legislation that provided for nationally applicable fees was enacted in 1962.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 September 18 17:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks. It seems you learn something every day on this site.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)