Author Topic: Death, John Lennox, after 1911,Aghagaskin  (Read 2567 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Death, John Lennox, after 1911,Aghagaskin
« on: Tuesday 11 September 18 02:20 BST (UK) »
I found the marriage of John Lennox Oct 24, 1864 in St. Swithin to Jane Fergusson. His father was William and he was full age so born before 1843. John and Jane are on the 1901 census in Aghagaskin with son Frederick and daughter Catherine. Frederick is already married to Margaret Haw as of Dec 6, 1900. Frederick was born Mar 19, 1871. John is age 54 so born 1846ish and Jane is 60 so born 1840ish. Then Jane dies Feb 9, 1903 and the coroner is involved. Is there a way to find out more about that? John remarries Dec 17, 1903 to Lizzie Leacock and they are on the 1911 census in Aghagaskin. John is now only 58 so born abt 1853ish.
John and Jane had a son, unnamed, on Jan 13, 1866. Another son Hamilton Mar 4, 1867, another son Feb 1, 1869,  a son Frederick James Mar 19, 1871 and a daughter Catherine  abt 1875 who marries Francis William Harbison July 22, 1901.
Anyway, John dies after the 1911 census. Can anyone find his death? His father was William, a farmer in Aghagaskin, and John was born 1843-1853. Can anyone find his  birth?
Thanks for any help
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death, John Lennox, after 1911,Aghagaskin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 08:10 BST (UK) »
For reference here are the links that should go with the above post-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Magherafelt/Aughagaskin/1532797
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Magherafelt/Aghagaskin/613523 (John has supposedly aged 4 years in the 10 years since previous census- perhaps because second wife was so much younger).

John Lennox of Aughagaskin died in 1918 with age recorded as 80 years- not sure why you couldn't find it  :-\
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1918/05190/4433566.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 16:33 BST (UK) »
I did see that death record but was unsure due to the age which puts his dob at 1838. And I didn't know the connection to Ellen Scott. I only had one daughter for John who was Catherine married to Francis Harbison.
So now I guess we would need to look for John's birth from 1838 to 1843 as he was full age in 1864 at time of marriage. With father William.
Thanks for your help.
Peggy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 September 18 15:01 BST (UK) »
Death certificate says that Ellen Scott was present at death but that doesn't mean she was related to or connected to John Lennox.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 September 18 19:45 BST (UK) »
A near neighbour was called Ellen Scott dtr of William Scott and Elizabeth Stewart if that's any help
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Magherafelt/Aghagaskin/613482/

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 September 18 01:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey. I have a Thomas Scott married to Elizabeth Lennox so perhaps there is  a connection somehow.
Peggy

Offline BarbK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 February 19 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Peggy - I see Lennox and Aghagaskin in your posts.  Perhaps our families are connected.  I have James Lennox 1811-1891 m to Margaret Reynolds in Aghagaskin in St Swithins.  Their parents names were not on the marriage record.    I am looking for their siblings to try an trace parentage of James and Margaret. 
4 of their children emigrated to PA - Anne(aka Nancy), Mary Jane, John b 1844 and Robert.  Daughter Martha m Wm Redfern and daughter Margaret m Alexander Loughrey.    Son James b.1846 m Margaret Martin.
Any of this connect with you?
Mayo/Roscommon -Cassidy, Doherty
Donegal -   Hewitt, O'Mara
Kerry - Hayes, Regan, Callahan, Roche
Tyrone - Miller, Baird, Johnston
Derry - Lennox, Reynolds, Redfern

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 February 19 19:47 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Barb,
 There is a tree on family search that has the father of James married to Margaret Reynolds as William Lennox  and James has a brother William born 1806  as per that tree.  I cannot verify that.
 I did not have a daughter Margaret for James and Margaret Reynolds so have now added her.  When you said son James married Margaret Martin something clicked.  I had James and Margaret Martin in another part of my tree with the parents for James being William with a possible wife Jane Blaney.   As per James and Margaret Martin’s marriage record in 1871, his father was William, so not James and Margaret Reynolds.  The William that I was looking at died in 1876, his will  is on Proni and he names several children, one of which is James. There are so many Williams and James is that it is difficult to be certain that James married to Margaret Martin belongs to the William that died in 1876 but he does belong to a William.  I have been meaning to check out the mentioned children more thoroughly especially a son named Jervis aka  Gervaise. The wording of the will makes one think that Jervis and Jane was belonged to a previous marriage of William’s wife who may be Jane Blaney but it is hard to know.
 Upon reviewing things now, I am wondering if brother William born in 1806 is the same William that died in 1876.   One thing that bothers me though is that the William who married Jane Blaney was from County Antrim which doesn’t fit this family.  So perhaps Jane Blaney is not the mother but James Lennox married to Margaret Martin did have father William. So confusing.
    If we could find the death of James married to Margaret Reynolds with James dying in Pennsylvania in 1891 perhaps his mothers name will be on that record.   We can always hope.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 February 19 20:20 GMT (UK) »
 I am just found the death of James Lennox in Aghagaskin with son-in-law William Redford present, date of death is July 15, 1895.  I have seen his death as 1891 sometimes in Ireland sometimes in Pennsylvania but it looks like it was not 1891.  He was a widower in 1895.