Author Topic: Elspet ALEXANDER and family  (Read 726 times)

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elspet ALEXANDER and family
« on: Tuesday 11 September 18 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find out any information about the following family.

Elspet ALEXANDER married Alexander SMITH (have not yet been able to find their marriage)

They had the following children all born in Drumblade, Aberdeenshire

Barbara SMITH born 1780
Christian SMITH born 1782
Margaret SMITH born 1786
James SMITH born 1788
Jean SMITH born 1790.

I have not been able to find out anything about Alexander SMITH but I have got some possible leads for Elspet ALEXANDER.

Possible birth for her 1 Aug 1759 in Drumblade.  Father listed as George ALEXANDER.

Also listed was a possible sister Chirstan ALEXANDER b. 1762 in Drumblade to George ALEXANDER.

Hunting further I found a marriage for a George ALEXANDER to a Christian RONALDSON in 1756 but this marriage was at St Cuthberts in Edinburgh - could George and Christian moved to Drumblade and then had 2 daughters there?  Did this kind of big move happen?

If so then I may have found a birth for George ALEXANDER in 1728 at St Cuthberts in Edinburgh, mother listed as Elspeth which would fit in with George then naming his daughter Elspet.

What do you think?  Am I on the right track or have I just got completely sidetracked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Elspet ALEXANDER and family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hunting further I found a marriage for a George ALEXANDER to a Christian RONALDSON in 1756 but this marriage was at St Cuthberts in Edinburgh - could George and Christian moved to Drumblade and then had 2 daughters there?  Did this kind of big move happen?
Very rarely. It is quite common for people to start out in the country and move into a city, but extremely unusual to go the other way. And it's a long way from Edinburgh to Drumblade in eighteenth century terms.

What do you think?  Am I on the right track or have I just got completely sidetracked.
I think you have probably got sidetracked.

George Alexander and Christian Ronaldson had a son James baptised in 1757 and a daughter Agnes baptised in 1761, both in Edinburgh. These overlap with the daughters of George Alexander who were born in Drumblade in 1759 and 1762, so I think this almost certainly rules them out.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 08:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian.

I thought this might be the case.  Back to square one again it is.

I do think that the Elspet ALEXANDER in 1759 in Drumblade father listed as George ALEXANDER is my Elspet so that at least might be something.  Trying to find George is going to be alot harder I'm thinking.

Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 12:02 BST (UK) »
Unless you have absolute proof of Elspet's parentage then it'll have to remain an assumption. Have you found any of the Alexander family members in censuses? Sometimes elderly relatives may be found living with nieces or nephews, etc. & then you can trace a connection that way. Have you found any deaths, wills or headstones for them?

flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 23:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Flst

No haven't yet be able to find any trace of family etc for Elspet ALEXANDER and her husband Alexander SMITH other than their children.

Yes for now it's just an assumption that Elspet was born in Drumblade and that this is her.  I have marked it down as query for now.

With last names like ALEXANDER and SMITH it may prove almost impossible to find anything further about them but I'll keep looking through all the records I can find - maybe something will crop up one day.

Thanks