Author Topic: David Thomson  (Read 14454 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Thomson
« Reply #144 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 11:01 BST (UK) »
http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/cgi-bin/ML_search.cgi?year=1909&qtr=2&vol=10b&page=34&search=search

Just to add it looks like Cecil's daughter Eleanor (Nellie) married at St Michael & St Lawrence in 1909.

Just to add going back a number of posts and just to make things clear - because I read on here David was 'Catholic' I looked in the Catholic Church St Lawrence at Byker.  If Annie was still alive then and with Cecil and wonder if there might be a small chance she could have been one of the witnesses.

I did not look in the St Lawrence which is Anglican.  Did you check the Anglican Church in Byker, Boo for David and Nina's marriage?  I can't check at Tyne and Wear Archives because they don't have a specific St Lawrence (Anglican). 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 11:15 BST (UK) »
If 'Annie nee Reed' was someone else's wife (therefore with totally unknown surname) and she died when living with Cecil, as I have mentioned before I think there is a very good chance that she will appear in the Heaton burial records at some point between 1905 and 1911.

Good work ongoing, we are really building up a picture of this family.

It certainly happened that women left their children for whatever reason so not beyond the bounds it happened in this case especially if she was already married.

Will have a look for Annie + a n other surname deaths 1905-1911 to see if any stand out but there will be a lot called Annie and we have no clue how old she was :-\

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi RTL

Can't remember but I don't think so.
I was going today but its raining heavily and I'm full of cold so have stayed home. Its closed next week. So it will be the week after at the earliest that I visit next.

By then hopefully the marriage cert should have arrived, even posting it to Australia can't take too much longer?

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Milliepede, yes we are building up a picture of this family.  I think this would indeed be helpful if you could do some detective work if you can on any likely Ann/Annie individuals who look promising for the person we are looking for.  If any have a different surname and seem promising a check might reveal if they also had a maiden name of Reed.  Do keep us posted on any of your findings, please. :)

Boo, I am sorry to hear you have a cold - hope you are over this soon.  That would be great if you could look at St Lawrence in a couple of weeks.

Karytay .. I don't know what you think ...  I don't know what your friends circumstances are but I am starting to think that perhaps she may have been hoping to find out the answers on here for free without having to resort to purchasing a certificate.  If so, I think we would all understand if she has other financial priorities just now. There doesn't seem to be much sign of a certificate forthcoming. 

Perhaps, you could again chat to your friend perhaps and let us know if realistically we can expect one coming.   I think it is true that most of us try to find things out for free if we can.  It is just I think some of us here are all on tenterhooks. 

It still might be possible that Boo may be able to find something in a couple of weeks even if no certificate is going to be sent for. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, my friend said she would order the certificate today, she is going about it, around about way. She is getting your son to pay for it, as he lives in England and goes to Varsity there. It would coast her about R.175.00 if she paid for it with South African money. And since we need other certificates of other ancestry's that are also causing a bit of a problem, it will coast a lot of money paying with Rands.  Plus our mailing system in this country is in shambles, so we will not get our post , depending what it is, in a week or two it could be months. If we get it at all! 

When she saw that her ancestors were of the Catholic faith , she seamed surprised.  She was under the imprecation most of them were Presbyterian. Considering that they came from Scotland.

Does someone have an answer for this ? Why is Harry and Henry interchangeable? to me they are quite different. I have come across Harry on my friends tree, some documents have him as Henry while others have him as Harry. This is confusing for now you think you do not have the same person.

Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Karytay

I don't see any evidence that David Thomsons family were Roman Catholic. That information came from yourself in a post on the second page of this thread.

"Thanks Milliepede.
David Thomson was Roman Catholic."

I think all of the Church records found in Scotland and Byker so far have been Church of Scotland and Church of England.

Henry and Harry are interchangeable. Harry was originally an informal version of Henry, but in the recent times has become a  formal name in its own right.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 21:46 BST (UK) »
1901 Byker

Annie Read 28 widow born Sunderland - sister to head of house Joseph Hinship - surname amended to Winship
Ehan? Read 2 niece so daughter of Annie

Presume that means this Annie was nee Winship but not sure of the childs name.

She may have gone on to meet Cecil and have more children.  I realise her maiden name wouldn't be Read but thought we could check her out/rule her out anyway.

Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 21:50 BST (UK) »
Ok the little girl is Elsie Reid born Dec 1898 mothers name Winship.

So that's another spelling of Reed to consider. 
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 07:25 BST (UK) »
She is Annie Stewart Winship. Marries James Reid as Ann Stewart Winship in Newcastle in 1894. I couldn't find her with her married name after 1901, but there is a marriage of an Annie Stewart Winship to a Fritz Johannes Buck in Newcastle in 1903. Annie Buck is 38, born Sunderland in 1911, so I assume she remarried using her maiden name for whatever reason.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins