Author Topic: David Thomson  (Read 14449 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Thomson
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 22:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Boo this will save me some time when I next get to the library that you have found the newspaper I mentioned.  I had a feeling it would be him.  I had hoped it might reference family members, but never mind.

Yes, I hope your friend gets around to ordering the certificate soon as this will confirm if Cecil really is David's Father.

I will see if I can find out anymore when I can next get to the library - probably won't be this week as work hours aren't compatible with library opening hours at the moment. 

Thanks for finding the possible death registrations for Benjamin, Milliepede.  Mind, I usually find in memoriams only a first name is mentioned.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 23:01 BST (UK) »
http://www.margaret-hall-genealogy.com/page6.htm

Perhaps another thing I could look at the next time I can fit in an archives visit for you Karytay is the school admission records.

These will usually provide child's date of birth, home address and name of parent or Guardian (usually the Father's name is provided) amongst other information.

If you look on the attached link under Tyne and Wear User Guides then under the Newcastle schools you will see there are some schools under the Byker and Heaton area which David and brother Cecil may have attended. I think it might be worth a try, anyway.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 10:35 BST (UK) »
It sounds like David Thomson's son went to the Royal Jubilee school in Byker. Is it possible that David also went there?.
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Cecil Abbot Thomson has date of birth in 1939 of 31/7/1863. Says he was born Scotland in 1891 census, India in 1901 and 1911.

On Familysearch : Albat Thompson, born 31/7/1863, Stirling, Scotland. Parents James Thomson and Ann Gibson. Scotlandspeople gives his name as Abbot Thomson.

1871 census, 30 Frederick St., Aberdeen,
James Thomson, 30, Private in 92nd Highlanders, b. Alloa, Clackmannanshire,
Ann ", wife, 29, b. Sauchie, Clackmannanshire,
Abbot ", son, b. 1863, Stirling, Stirlingshire,
Lillias ", dau, 2, b. Aldershot, Hampshire.

The 92nd (Gordon Highlanders) returned from India in 1862, so perhaps this is where his confusion with place of birth came from.

In 1881 James is now a Lance Corporal at a Military Barracks in Aberdeen, Lilllias (Lillian) is in a boarding school in Aberdeen. Abbott is in lodgings in Aberdeen. No sign of Ann.

An Abbott Thomson, born Stirling, Stirlingshire, joined the Royal Navy 30th April 1881, signing up for 10 years. The date of birth is out, 30 April 1863, but minimum age for sign up was 18 so maybe he added a few months on to get in early.  He had a couple of stints as a boy sailor before that. However, there are no ships names or voyages on his record after 1881 sign up, so I wonder if he jumped ship in Newcastle.

Alan.

Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 14:29 BST (UK) »
Alan thanks for info, interesting, now it is even more confusing. So I gather you are saying the two Cecil Abbot Thomson's born in India and born in Scotland are the one and same person.

How does one go about proving it?  Surely He should know were and when he was born?  ???

Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 15:41 BST (UK) »
Cecil Abbott Thompson Senior born 1863, sometimes calls himself Cecil Abbot Thomson,  sometimes Cecil Thomson, and sometimes Abbot Thomson. Sometimes Thompson with a p, sometimes Thomson without a p. Sometimes Abbot with one t, sometimes with 2.

On the Electoral Registers he's Abbot before 1898, then changes to Cecil Abbott until 1930 when he changes back to Abbot. He briefly changes to Abbot in 1909. Its the same person as he's living in the same houses with both names.

On his marriages he's Cecil Abbot, on his death cert he's Abbot.

At his daughter Eleanor Thomson baptism, 23 Feb 1887, Walker, he's Cecil Thompson.
At his son James Henry Thomson baptism, 19 June 1889, Walker, he's Abbot Thompson.
At his son Cecil Abbot Thomson baptism, 20 May 1903, Byker, he's Cecil Abbot Thomson.

In 1891 census he's Cecil Abbott Thomson, 27, with his first wife Elizabeth Ann (formerly Blenkinsop), two children and sister in law Maria Blenkinsop. and says he's born Scotland.

In 1901 he's Cecil A.Thomson, 37, married but no wife present, with the children from 1891, but now says he's born Delhi, India.

In 1911 he says born Moultan, India.

Alan.

Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
My goodness ! Alan how did you manage to get that all sorted. Thanks for your hard work, much appreciated. 

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Thursday 27 September 18 07:09 BST (UK) »
It is possible David could have gone to the Royal Jubilee School like his son but unfortunately if he did it doesn't look like his admission will be covered by what is held at the archives - on checking the user guides on the link I attached.  More than 100 years have to have passed before anyone's school admission at the archives can be accessed too. 

Great research by Alan!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 12:54 BST (UK) »
Karytay, just while we are waiting for your friend to get David's marriage here is a one for Cecil:

St Michael, Byker
Entry: 106
April 5th 1885
Cecil Abbott Thomson & Elizabeth Blenkinsop
Both 21
Bachelor & Spinster
Cecil was a 'Labourer'
Abode for both: This Parish
Fathers:
James Thomson - Clerk
Henry Blenkinsop - Coach-builder
Witnesses: Henry Blenkinsop & Jane Dunn
All signed.

Literally only had time to make a brief call in so thought I would get this.

I wonder if David and Nina may have married at St Gabriel at Heaton.  Unfortunately, only Northumberland Archives would have those registers and not Tyne and Wear Archives where I can get to.