Author Topic: ? Royal Navy ?  (Read 1174 times)

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
? Royal Navy ?
« on: Tuesday 11 September 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
Please can SKS help me identify the cap badge on this photo?  My Mum found it in a case of family photos that she inherited from her parents.  There is a name on the back, written by my Grandma.  The surname is my Grandad's Mum's maiden name, but we are not aware of the first name in the family.  Can the badge/uniform give any indication of when the photo was take eg WWI, WWII or between or after etc.

It looks to me like a Petty Officer's badge but I am not at all sure.

Many thanks for reading

CJ
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ? Royal Navy ?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 17:36 BST (UK) »
WW2 era and it is a Petty Officer's badge.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 18:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you MaxD, so now 'all' I have to do is find the link to him  ;D
Makes you wish that they wrote a life story on the back of photos at times!

Am I correct in thinking that WWII records are not available?

CJ
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 19:24 BST (UK) »
They are available, process is described here:

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Although you do need death cert, birth date OR service number and consent of next of kin (and £30).

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 02:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you again MaxD, as I haven’t yet found out who he is (in relation to me) that option is out. Thank you for your help 😀

CJ

Offline cpercival

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 April 19 14:16 BST (UK) »
He looks a bit young to have made PO.  If the cap badge is all red i.e. without any gold or silver wire embellishments he could be an Artificer Apprentice.  Although the crown on the cap badge is a "Kings" crown they were still being worn until the 1960s until old stocks ran out and the different "queens" crown became the norm.  I have a photograph of myself so dressed at the age of 17 in 1963.

Clive P

Offline cpercival

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 April 19 14:37 BST (UK) »
On further reflection another giveaway is the white cap.  Until the mid 1950s they were still in black caps.  My vote goes to late 1950s or very early 1960s.  If he was an Artificer and you can let me have a name I'll check the records of the Fisgard Association.  They try to keep track of as many as possible old "Tiffies"

Clive P