Author Topic: William Francis Gleed (1786-1851) - from excise officer to lunatic asylum?  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Francis Gleed (1786-1851) - from excise officer to lunatic asylum?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 11:38 BST (UK) »
Confused ???
I was posting on two different threads and got mixed up. Now deleted! (I haven't had enough coffee yet  ;D )
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
I thought it was me lacking the coffee then  ;D

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Rachael89

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 September 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, everyone! This is all interesting stuff :).
Virgin, Mogford, Grant, Clay, Moss, Santer, Arkle

Offline flowerpot2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 December 19 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
Just over a year since you posted so hopefully this will be of use.
I am the 3x great granddaughter of William Francis Gleed the excise officer (via his daughter Arabella).
Just before the 1841 Census on June 2nd 1841 he was mentioned in the Minutes of the Customs Board as being posted to Fazeley near Tamworth in Staffordshire. He moved there with his wife Elizabeth and the family - and Arabella married the local schoolmaster John Thompson. His death was mentioned in the Minutes in 1851.

The minutes are held at TNA at Kew in CUST47. you can access the indexes online but need to visit Kew to see the actual books. I have a photograph of the 1841 mention.

Don't know when he stopped working as an excise officer and was sent to the asylum.

Hope this helps

His brother John Self Gleed and his father Francis Gleed were also excise officers