Author Topic: How do you verify birth date  (Read 3435 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How do you verify birth date
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 08:56 BST (UK) »
If I've got the right William Moore in 1861 - RG9/1233 folio 43 page 9 - then his parents are Robert and Sarah.  Looking at the birth registration for brother David, registered 1860 in Depwade, then his mother's maiden name was Francis.  There is a marriage in Depwade District in December quarter 1855 between Robert Moore and Sarah Ann Francis.

Have you looked at the parish registers for baptisms of the children?

There is a baptism at Hempnall on 4 January 1857 for William, son of Robert and Sarah Ann Moore.

A comprehensive published tree but no marriage details other than indexes, shows this William married to Sarah Hardingham in 1881 and then in later censuses.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline plug44

• RootsChat Extra
  • constantly correcting
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 12:44 BST (UK) »
as u can see I am newcomer on here, again surprised with so many replies, thank you. I will try to address all, firstly Heywood I have on my tree just what you have posted. lizzie I do have his birth certificate it shows 14th November 1856 with Robert and Sarah as parents but as I mentioned before on Williams headstone clearly says he was 89 when he died making his birth 1857, there is a baptism 4th Jan 1857, so don't know if this is the same William Moore because of the difference in year. I have the 1939 register, confirms his birthdate as 1856 still not sure if its the right person just thinking if age on headstone incorrect. looks like he could have been born in winfarthing not hempnall  but means he was born in 1856, doesn't seem to make sense! the only facts I have is the gravestone, family photos of children and names even his 1st wife eliza I have one photo only and have to assume its her other photos have names of children written on them but they are the only evidence available.
lodge forest of Dean, yorkshire
odling
everson
futter
fulcher
moore

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 12:46 BST (UK) »
I am assuming from your reply that you don't have the marriage certificate for him.  You really do need this to confirm his fathers name
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 12:55 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure why you are seemingly confused by the baptism date of January, when the child was born in the previous November  :-\  It seems fairly reasonable to me.  :)

You also have to remember that the information on William's headstone was NOT provided by William himself  :o  That information was provided by someone else!

As rosie99 says - his marriage certificate/s will go a long way to settling the confusion.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 13:17 BST (UK) »
I do have his birth certificate it shows 14th November 1856 with Robert and Sarah as parents but as I mentioned before on Williams headstone clearly says he was 89 when he died making his birth 1857,

when in 1946 did he die? If earlier than 14 Nov he wouldn't have had his 90th birthday yet.
Did he have daughter Lily?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Someone born in November 1856 and died in March quarter 1946 would indeed only be 89!

However, as has been said, that William Moore married a Sarah Hardingham and he died in 1944.

Are you positive 'your' William Moore is the one who married an Eliza?

Can you tell us your line of descent from William so we can ascertain that you are indeed on the right trail?   

Annette

PS I've just seen a tree that's clearly wrong on Ancestry - it shows a William Moore born 22/3/1856 Winfarthing married to Eliza Francis and that he died 14/9/1918??   Not so - this William was still alive and kicking in 1939!!   So, knowing how you connect to William Moore is important for us if we are to help you and ensure that you are following the right man.  It's a common name and too many possibilities to be sure.
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 15:14 BST (UK) »
If 'your' William Moore is indeed the one who married Eliza Francis I think I've sussed out his birth registration/baptism.

According to Winfarthing baptisms (on FreeReg) a William Garrard was baptised 5/4/1856, illegitimate son of Mary Ann Garrard.

Mary Ann Garrard married a Henry Moore in June quarter 1856 Guiltcross Regn. District - FindMyPast has a copy of the banns at Diss, Norfolk (not actual marriage entry) which states Henry Moore was of the parish of Diss and that Mary Ann Garrard was of the parish of Winfarthing.

In 1861 Henry and Mary Ann are living in Diss with William 'Garrod' aged 5, and Arthur Moore aged 2.

Thereafter William is William Moore.

Found a William Garred (original index page states Garrod) birth entry in March quarter 1856 Guiltcross - ref. 4b 249 - and so looked on GRO's own site to check the mothers maiden name which I was expecting to see as blank as he was born illegitimately.   Not there on any variation of the name Garrod.   I then looked under Moore and there he was - exact same reference number - but no mothers maiden name shown indicating illegitimacy.

This situation has come up before on Rootschat - an illegitimate birth is registered correctly (as here) in mothers maiden name and yet when you go to the GRO's own site - even quoting all the exact details of district, qtr., year and reference nothing comes up at all.   If knowing the father's surname you enter the details again - as Moore - up it pops.   When GRO have been adding mmn's to birth records one can only assume that William's original birth certificate in name of Garrod has details of his father on it and when they have produced their new site index they have recorded the birth as Moore but left mmn blank indicating illegitimacy (if parents were married her name should show as Garrod (or Garrard) whatever the correct spelling was).

I find this action of GRO very confusing - a copy of their original index page correctly shows a childs surname at the time of their birth (their mothers if illegitimate) and yet when you go to the listing now on their own site they are now showing said child, as in this instance, with the fathers surname of Moore.   Anyone using just the new GRO index would look at that entry of William Moore with no mmn shown and believe that he was the son of a 'Miss' Moore when that is simply not the case.

Annette   
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 15:25 BST (UK) »
I should have added that it certainly looks as if the William born at Winfarthing was born 22/3/1856, bp.5/4/1856 (and correctly) as William Garrard (as parents not married at that time) but if you want to now confirm this you will need to apply for his birth certificate from the GRO own site and apply for it with the name William Moore which is how they now have it listed.

What a palaver they are causing.

Annette
London -  Monk

Offline plug44

• RootsChat Extra
  • constantly correcting
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 17:30 BST (UK) »
Annette, I think you may have solved it as we do have a Garrod somewhere and we were trying to slot her in , I will go away and write it down and see if it all makes sense, this tree (as the futters you commented on) is my wife's and her  cousin in the states, who is pulling her hair out trying to get to the truth!
lodge forest of Dean, yorkshire
odling
everson
futter
fulcher
moore