Author Topic: Print signatures  (Read 946 times)

Offline Michael ONeil

• RootsChat Member
  • O'Neil with 1 L
    • View Profile
Re: Print signatures
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 16:33 BST (UK) »
Acid etchings. I'm trying to determine the subject locations for any further clues.

I see a slight similarity with the 'M' but a totally different 'a' and the surname style bears no resemblance to me.

I can’t find any etchings by her, however there is a Mary H Lee listed as an exhibitor in a 1905 Exhibition at the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool. A watercolour called Poppies. Address is given as 62 Spellow Lane Liverpool. It might be a coincidence.

To me a watercolour called Poppies is nowhere near the same as etchings of buildings particularly what look to be entrance ways to old buildings.

I'm in Liverpool UK by the way.
Surnames: O'Neil, Beechinor, Ames, Dickers
Locations: Clonakilty, Cashilisky, Fourcuil, Ringroe, Knuckskagh, New York City, Ohio, Canada, Liverpool.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
I was going to say earlier that the "Lee" signature looks - and I hope I am not insulting anyone here!  ::) - rather juvenile. The little back-flicking tails on the "H" and the very flowery "M" remind me of childhood attempts at making my sig more interesting.  ;D

If I had to guess, I'd say it was the same person, many years apart, possibly maiden & married names..?

Karen

P.S. We have an artist couple round the corner. I was there recently to look at all the stuff that is hanging around their house/atelier and the range of things which Michael has produced over the years is simply staggering. A wider range of styles and mediums would be impossible, I think! Everything from little glass boxes containing figures made from dolls' bodies with the heads of stuffed birds replacing the original heads  :-\ through dark, charcoal-only abstract works and almost childlike, colourful pictures on to breathtaking landscapes (also with poppies - my favourite subject!  ;D).
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 17:33 BST (UK) »
Just to say that I did quite a bit of printmaking at art school and my etchings were very different from my paintings. Also, my paintings before I did my Art degree were very different from my paintings and drawings after I had completed it - and different again these days!

So I think I agree with you, Karen   :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 20:52 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Hmmm...is there a famous name lurking behind the Gadget-pseudonym..?!
(If it is indeed a pseudonym. Auntie Gogglie came up with precisely zilch when I asked her about artists with that name. :)))
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd