Author Topic: WW2 medals - searchable database?  (Read 576 times)

Offline Daffodilica

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW2 medals - searchable database?
« on: Wednesday 12 September 18 09:11 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if there is a searchable database of medals awarded in WW2? I've looked at the National Archives website, which directs me to the MOD, but their website only lists medals awarded.

Also - would someone have received a medal if they died during a campaign?

I'm searching for Alfred William Shearman, who served with REME, and died in Eindhoven in 1945. I've found his burial details, but wondered whether he would have received any medals.

I'm going to apply for his service record, and I expect that will tell me about any medals.

Thanks, and apologies if this has been asked before.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 medals - searchable database?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 09:58 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if there is a searchable database of medals awarded in WW2? I've looked at the National Archives website, which directs me to the MOD, but their website only lists medals awarded.

Also - would someone have received a medal if they died during a campaign?

I'm searching for Alfred William Shearman, who served with REME, and died in Eindhoven in 1945. I've found his burial details, but wondered whether he would have received any medals.

I'm going to apply for his service record, and I expect that will tell me about any medals.

Thanks, and apologies if this has been asked before.

Members of the armed forces who served in WW2 were entitled to medals depending on how long and where they served.  The Defence Medal and the 1939-45 War Medal are the most usual, then one or more of the various Stars for campaigns (such as Burma, Africa, Italy and so on).

As in the Great War, a serviceman who died would have been entitled to service and campaign medals.  Unlike after the Great War, servicemen in WW2 had to apply for medals (many did not bother!) and I believe that this rule would apply to a widow or next of kin (although I may need to be endorsed or corrected on this point).

I have not found a searchable online equivalent of the Great War Medal Rolls.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 10:17 BST (UK) »

Unlike after the Great War, servicemen in WW2 had to apply for medals (many did not bother!) and I believe that this rule would apply to a widow or next of kin (although I may need to be endorsed or corrected on this point).

I have not found a searchable online equivalent of the Great War Medal Rolls.

Philip

My mother applied for her first husband's WW2 medals in the mid 1980s......almost 40 years after his death.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daffodilica

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 10:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies - that's really useful to know. I don't think we have any medals for him in the family, so I think I'll apply for his service history, establish what medals he should have received, and go from there.

Thanks also for the info about there not being a database - I've been looking for one, but haven't found anything.