Author Topic: Tracing WWI Medal Holders  (Read 590 times)

Offline Paul Peter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Tracing WWI Medal Holders
« on: Wednesday 12 September 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
I recently purchases a set of WWI medals to replace family ones that were lost. The name of the person who previously owned them is on the back, a member of the RAMC, any ideas how I could trace some details of them. ? thanks
Family Names
Butler of  Dungarvan
Donoghue or O'Donoghue or Donohoe of Abbeyside
Hufsham, Hursum or Horsom of Dungarvan
Whelan of Abbeyside Dungarvan
Flynn of Dungarvan
Drohan of Carrick on Suir or Clonmel
Daniel of Carrick on Suir
Kirwin of Kilrossanty Waterford
Hogan of Kilmacthomas Waterford

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing WWI Medal Holders
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking on sites such as Ancestry or Find My past?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
I recently purchases a set of WWI medals to replace family ones that were lost. The name of the person who previously owned them is on the back, a member of the RAMC, any ideas how I could trace some details of them. ? thanks

The medals should also have rank, service number and name.

With that information you might get lucky and find a service record surviving, otherwise it would depend on whether or not the person survived the war.  "Soldiers died in the Great War 1914-1919" and "The National Roll of the Great War" are on Anc.

Otherwise, if you post the details we can help in the search.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 14:33 BST (UK) »
I had four relatives in the RAMC during WWI.  I don't have them in front of me now but I do recall some of the Medal Cards had more information on them than the others.  I believe addresses were on the back of the medal card but at the time I downloaded the images there were no images of the addresses.

Fortunately one family member's RAMC army record survived the archive fire and this showed, next of kin and addresses, plus the ship's name and date when he went to France plus the fact that he'd been punished for taking shelter in a nun's convent one Christmas. 

My grandfather received an army pension for being gassed in 1916 and his surviving record included the fact he'd signed up in 1911 as a spare time Territorial and there's a list of the short annual RAMC summer training camps he attended in Redcar, North Yorkshire and other places.  His army number was carried forward when he was officially conscripted into the army and that record also survived, which shows his address, the date he married and his bride's name plus names/birth dates of his children. There was no mention of any ship's name when he sailed for, or left, France. His medical records also survived.

There's suffcient information on the surviving images to help identify a surviving family in the 1939 Register - if the family remained in the same town.

Best Wishes,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Paul Peter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 16:20 BST (UK) »
thanks for the suggestions, the medal belonged to Percival Page Corporal then Serjeant in RAMC, I found his medal record. He doesn't appear on the Commonwealth War Graves so he must have survived the war.
Family Names
Butler of  Dungarvan
Donoghue or O'Donoghue or Donohoe of Abbeyside
Hufsham, Hursum or Horsom of Dungarvan
Whelan of Abbeyside Dungarvan
Flynn of Dungarvan
Drohan of Carrick on Suir or Clonmel
Daniel of Carrick on Suir
Kirwin of Kilrossanty Waterford
Hogan of Kilmacthomas Waterford

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately his service record didn't survive so all you know is that he received the 15 Star for entry(France) 1/6/15 while a Cpl. & the BW & V medals when a Sgt.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/