Author Topic: Ethnicity changed  (Read 4386 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Ethnicity changed
« on: Wednesday 12 September 18 23:04 BST (UK) »
OK

so Ancestry UPDATED me  changed my ethnicity .. they say they are learning more..

Uhm..

No more Scandinavia or Asia..  I am almost English  with a bit of European thrown in  .. OK.. fine

xin

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ethnicity changed
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 September 18 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hey xinia, mines changed too!!

My 5% Iberian Peninsula DNA ancestry is now suddenly in Norway/Sweden! And the whole idea of British ethnicity has vanished entirely! Just shows what a long way there is to go before this stops being misleading, inaccurate and unscientific. A bit of fun, but about as useful as phrenology.

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 September 18 00:24 BST (UK) »
Mines changed too.  I am more British 76%.  No longer Iberian Peninsular, and I was just leaning the flamingo  ;D ;D.

Instead I have Norway. 
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 September 18 01:03 BST (UK) »
Mines changed too.  I am more British 76%.  No longer Iberian Peninsular, and I was just learning the flamingo  ;D ;D.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 September 18 09:45 BST (UK) »
The thing is  -- that there are people out there that are RIGID in their belief of all this nonsense.

Just wondering what would happen if I created a totally false tree -- made up all the places and etcs... see what results they would give then.

I am happy that I now do not have my GGGGG floating around in the sea somewhere .. I have attempted to ensure that the Hinckley LEICESTER people are not in Hinckley Maine...

How about that Yesterday the Lifestory (ooo I accidentally typed Lie.....:) ) page told me my POPPa may well have enjoyed Winnie the Pooh!!

Now that is an unbelievable fact.. My Poppa wouldnt NOT read a book of any kind .. he was a little awkward in that respect..

but I get what they were showing me.

xin

Try- ing  to have a day without a moan today.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 September 18 10:00 BST (UK) »
My changes are interesting - all the odder elements, Iberian, European Jewish and Southern Europe have disappeared, but the percentages are now almost exactly what I suspect from my research - 68% Southern English, 28% Scots/Irish and a little bit Norweigian. The latter seems to have displaced Scandanavian in the older analysis
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 September 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
Mines changed too.  I am more British 76%.  No longer Iberian Peninsular, and I was just leaning the flamingo

If pink feathers suit you, go for it!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 September 18 10:14 BST (UK) »
Mines changed too.  I am more British 76%.  No longer Iberian Peninsular, and I was just leaning the flamingo  ;D ;D.

Instead I have Norway.

So that's where my Scandinavian bit has gone  ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 September 18 10:32 BST (UK) »
Xinia - I do think there is a sound scientific basis to your MATCHES, but I don't believe my match's trees for a moment.  What has pleasantly surprised me are matches that correspond with the papertrail and they descend from siblings born in the 1770s.  No hanky panky up that line!

For one relative whose kit I have access to the recent changes are far more in line with his known ancestry.  He has a gt-grandparent whose parents were Scandinavian - this is now showing in the new ethnicity estimation. 

What I do like about the new definitions is that the new "blob" for English extends far more into Western Europe.  Like it or not, the DNA isn't all that different between the UK and Northern France, Belgium, Holland etc.  If you consider where the Normans and Angles etc were from it's not surprising.

I do feel compelled to reply to your repeated negativity about the usefulness of DNA. 

I've found it EXTREMELY useful and it's solved a relatively recent mystery.  It's also taken some  lines back past official BDM records.  And, as I said there are matches with people from the 1700s. 

There's also loads of closish matches with people I can't quite place yet, but that's the fun of it.

For some reason you're just not getting much benefit out of it yet, but I don't think your experience is typical.