Author Topic: Ancestry - information added to my family tree not by me  (Read 8157 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry - information added to my family tree not by me
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 21 October 18 12:24 BST (UK) »
I have found this thread interesting as it has confirmed things I had previously thought I was imaging.

I have had the place name changing experience whereby places in Northumberland were suddenly transferred to South Carolina, USA simply because I had not stated the place was in England. Fair enough and easily sorted. However more worrying is the disappearing records which at first I put down to bad memory on my part but having read what others say I am convinced I have lost records.

I have several trees on Ancestry but these occurrences have all occurred on my main tree which is and always has been private, or so I thought !!!!!!!!!
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 22 October 18 04:39 BST (UK) »
My tree is private, but I do think that it's unfair that people can still download certificates, stories and photographs from my tree and add to their own!  Photos and stories and records from other trees often pop up when Im doing a search, and some of them are old photos that I've cleaned up ((or Rootchat Restorers have) then I've later added names and dates onto the photo itself, also, Official Records, Newspaper articles etc., all thing I have paid for myself and I get very hot under the collar when somebody just freely copies my photos, stories, certs etc, without even asking by PM, and not even bothering to say thank you! If someone's else's photos or records pop up when I'm doing a search, and it's one I don't have, I make a point of messaging the member, introducing myself, and asking if they mind if I copy some of their photos and certs! And I always say thank you!

But..., if it's people who have just added my stuff willy nilly without bothering to ask me, I get really wild. GRRR😡😡😡. I just have to laugh though when I see one person in particular who has attached some of my photo's stories etc to the wrong person - ie one photo and cert. in particular, was a photo of my Mum, which had been renamed as her younger sister Mary!  This person has a huge number of people in her tree, around the 10,000 mark, and five or 6 of my own personally owned photos have also been renamed by her and added to someone totally unrelated to me!  This woman is not only a name gatherer, she is a total menace!  In the words of Donald Trump, she's a "Fake" Researcher!!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline torre

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 22 October 18 07:46 BST (UK) »
My tree is private, but I do think that it's unfair that people can still download certificates, stories and photographs from my tree and add to their own!  Photos and stories and records from other trees often pop up when Im doing a search, and some of them are old photos that I've cleaned up ((or Rootchat Restorers have) then I've later added names and dates onto the photo itself, also, Official Records, Newspaper articles etc., all thing I have paid for myself and I get very hot under the collar when somebody just freely copies my photos, stories, certs etc, without even asking by PM, and not even bothering to say thank you! If someone's else's photos or records pop up when I'm doing a search, and it's one I don't have, I make a point of messaging the member, introducing myself, and asking if they mind if I copy some of their photos and certs! And I always say thank you!

But..., if it's people who have just added my stuff willy nilly without bothering to ask me, I get really wild. GRRR😡😡😡. I just have to laugh though when I see one person in particular who has attached some of my photo's stories etc to the wrong person - ie one photo and cert. in particular, was a photo of my Mum, which had been renamed as her younger sister Mary!  This person has a huge number of people in her tree, around the 10,000 mark, and five or 6 of my own personally owned photos have also been renamed by her and added to someone totally unrelated to me!  This woman is not only a name gatherer, she is a total menace!  In the words of Donald Trump, she's a "Fake" Researcher!!

Are you sure your tree is private?

I have a private tree on Ancestry (It has always been private) and I get emails from people who see that I have a 'photo' of someone in my tree and could they have a copy.

The Ancestry search tells them I have a photo, but the tree is private and 'if they ask nicely' I might share. They cannot see the photo which is why they email me for a copy.

Unfortunately, everything I add to a person on my tree, Ancestry calls a photo. It could be a picture, BMD certificate of other document.

I thought if anyone can see your photos, then your tree isn't private.
Festorazzi in Kent and Italy
Pottinger in London
Mitchell in Hampshire
Rogers in Hampshire
Paddington in Hampshire
Latter in Kent
Langridge in Kent
Hook(e) in London and Devon
Kirk in Norfolk and Yorkshire

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 22 October 18 09:15 BST (UK) »
I agree Torre, -  JB if your tree is private no one can see it unless you invite them. Check you haven’t made it public by mistake. Another way your stuff could be copied is if you’ve allowed anyone access to your tree, they’ve copied things and they have a public tree.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 22 October 18 11:02 BST (UK) »
Your really NEED to check this out.  Because this sounds like your TREE is PUBLIC  and if this is happening then get on to ANCESTRY  and tell them..

I will seriously think about taking my stuff off  if this is happening.

I have a few trees  ONE that is for DNA testing and it has all the information BUT ABSOLUTELY NO RECORDS of any kind.. and I only OPEN it when requested..   it is attached to my DNA results so is accessible.

I have ONE FULL OF ALL MY own paid for and produced records that is PRIVATE AND NOT ALLOWED TO BE SHOWN AS A TREE OR FOUND ANYWHERE..

I am about to change laptops so will check if it is accessible before I set it up.

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 22 October 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
Been testing this -- and have changed the NAME of this one particular tree of mine..

It was easy to do and is NOW unrecognisable by anyone but me...

~S0 give it a go.. ~   change the name of your tree to one that ONLY YOU KNOW... and then it will be found by only you and those that you want to see it..   DO NOT let it have the names you are researching in the tree NAME ----

ancestry will do me for this.. but it seems a safe option.

then make the PRIVACY options CLEAR to NOT PUBLIC and not SEARCHABLE

xin

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 22 October 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
A distant ancestor of mine had a public tree, and found people were copying photos etc. so she made it private.  Guess what, people still got access, so she deleted it and then re-installed it under a different name.  Then she asked me to see if I could get access.  I couldn't even find it on public or private trees, so she's happy now, but neither of us are sure why it doesn't show up under private trees with a note to ask the tree owner politely if they'd like to share.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 22 October 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
The only occasion I got photo hints (which I could see clearly in the email) was from a private tree.
I believe any images posted to Ancestry automatically gives them licence to use them, private or not.
I'm fairly sure someone said that here, I can't remember what thread it was now.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 22 October 18 23:13 BST (UK) »
The only occasion I got photo hints (which I could see clearly in the email) was from a private tree.
I believe any images posted to Ancestry automatically gives them licence to use them, private or not.
I'm fairly sure someone said that here, I can't remember what thread it was now.

Pretty sure you're correct Sinann! I recall reading that somewhere in the Ancestry terms and conditions! 

My tree is definitely private!  Always has been.  And so is the person's tree that originally copied and renamed my photos.  She is a very distant name collecting relative, who has long since been removed from my invitation list! 

None of my family surnames are in the name of any of my trees, I also host two others for relatives that I have done on their behalf, which are also private.

The few people that did have editing rights on my tree are no longer on my list!

Anyone else who is getting info or records from my tree is probably getting them through the little green leaves! 
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections