Author Topic: Thomas Wyndham Jones  (Read 444 times)

Offline Donches

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Wyndham Jones
« on: Thursday 13 September 18 11:12 BST (UK) »
I'm still re-searching Thomas about whom I've been grateful for help before, I'd now like opinions on another matter. Searching for his parents through FindMyPast and Family Search, no records come up of the baptism of a Thomas Wyndham Jones. I know that he was born about 1796, in London, Middlesex and his father was Thomas, a "gentleman". I have found a baptism which fits with a father's name Thomas and  who I think was his mother, mother Sidney, née Rice. However there's a slight niggle that the baptism is of a plain Thomas.

Could it be that Thomas added Wyndham himself to give a little more distinction to his name, or was Wyndham not included in the baptism or the record? Not many baptisms of the time seemed to include middle names.

I'd like opinions.

Don

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Wyndham Jones
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 September 18 11:30 BST (UK) »
Middle names like this sometimes indicate illegitimacy  ::)  Fathers names on marriage certificates can be unreliable.  It may also have been added to make himself appear important, he was after all an Attorney

I presume that this is him in 1841 living Wybunbury H0107/118 bk21 f7 p13
Thomas Jones 45 plus possible children Thomas, Edward & Elizabeth
and in a separate household same property
Susannah Shaw 84 Not bn in County
Sidney Jones (Female) 47 Not bn in County.

Is the Sidney Jones who is living in the house a possible sister - have you traced her baptism
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 September 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
I would say possible he added it for a flourish.  Thomas Jones doesn't stand out on its own but as Rosie says middle names are often a useful clue to a real fathers name. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 September 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
Why start a new thread??

Plenty of stuff posted on your other thread..... saves people wasting their time finding what has already been found!

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=798874.msg6561726#msg6561726

This could have been added to it.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Donches

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 September 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks for the helpful replies.
I think that Thomas must have added Wyndham to give his name more ditinction - it does roll off the tongue. It would also not invalidate my assumption of who his parents were. There are several people with Wyndham in their names in Wales, where I think his parents came from, although the name is not of Welsh origin.
It is very plausible that Sidney Jones, staying with him at Wybunbury in1841, was his sister, which would strengthen the assumption that his parents were Thomas Jones and Sidney (Sedney, in the record.) Unforunately I can't find a record for her baptism. A great pity that the 1941 census didn't include baptisms. An Elizabeth Jones, the daughter of Thomas and "Sedney" was baptised in 1786. I think there were other children, but I can't find any.

Don