Author Topic: DNA results & Olive skin  (Read 6440 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DNA results & Olive skin
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 September 18 10:17 BST (UK) »
This is why I think DNA testing is a waste of time and money, it should be able to detect Saxon or Celt. OK, Scots, Irish and Welsh Celtic (and Cornwall) but English mixture of Saxons, Danes and Norse (Norwegians). Apparently, Danes cannot be told apart from Saxons.

You mention Celtic and Spain and olive skin. This sounds very like Silures from SE Wales, there are Silures in Spain. Silures might have been Mediterranean people and caused the Romans, when they came, to do a double take.

For ethnicity estimates I think most of us here agree that the test is a waste of time and money.

For breaking down the odd brick wall or two, for confirming doubtful family lines, for adoptees looking for answers, it definitely isn't a waste of money, but it does require a lot of time to get the most out of it.

More time than lots of people are prepared to give, depends how much value you put on your free time.

As a retired person I can spend an hour or two a day (ok, maybe more!) on my favourite hobby, genealogy.  DNA is just one of the many tools I use.

Regards Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 September 18 11:38 BST (UK) »

I believed that the 2% Iberian Peninsula may be the reason for my olive skin, and ability to tan at the first sight of sun! But after my update, these are now my results....

Ancestry.com seem to be doing away with 'trace' (low) estimates and this is probably a good idea, because results below 15% were meaningless anyway
This is from ancestry FAQS/information page on 'trace'/below 15%results (my underline)
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/dna/legal/faq#interpret-4
Trace Regions are regions where the estimated range includes zero and does not go above 15%, or where the predicted percentage is less than 4.5%. Since there is only a small amount of evidence that you have genetic ethnicity from these regions, it is possible that you may not have genetic ethnicity from them at all. This is not uncommon,

I would have hoped that the results would have given me a time frame of how far they went back...

The below quote is from the same Ancestry FAQS/information page linked above. I'm afraid that, again, the information is all a bit vague.

It maps ethnicity going back multiple generations...targeting your family history a few hundred or even a thousand years ago...

As others have pointed out, the ethnicity part of the results are a waste of time and not to be taken seriously.

'Olive skin' could have come from anywhere in Europe. For example, I have a relative from the North of England whose family are all extremely dark and his ancestors, going back hundreds of years, are all in local parish records within a small area of rural Yorkshire .

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 September 18 12:03 BST (UK) »
Perhaps I was lucky, I was lucky, I got back to 1695 and thats before the internet. If I was starting out now, I would have to subscribe to Ancestry and a few others. It would have saved 1000's of miles driving to London, Gloucester and Cwmbran and £1000's. Filling out around 1700 was courtesy a cousin who employed a genealogist to take my researches back further. It turned out to be same generation but limited by the fact that the PR's only started 1695.

I don't agree about skin colour. I could post photo's but won't. The Silures gave the Romans a whole heap of trouble pushing West and North into Wales. Apparently, the Romans were considering extermination of the Silures.  (Tacitus?). Luckily for our family they didn't. That's why one of three permanent Legionary bases was at Caerleon.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 September 18 12:06 BST (UK) »
This is why I think DNA testing is a waste of time and money, it should be able to detect Saxon or Celt.

I agree the ethnicity tests are a waste of time but the reason they do not label results as 'Saxon or Celt' is because they are not ethnicities. They are historical time periods.

There is also no 'Celtic' relationship between Celtic regions. The link below is from the largest DNA study ever done in Britain. The Wellcome Trust/People of the British Isles Research Project
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31905764
A DNA study of Britons has shown that genetically there is not a unique Celtic group of people in the UK.
According to the data, those of Celtic ancestry in Scotland and Cornwall are more similar to the English than they are to other Celtic groups.

...Scots, Irish and Welsh Celtic (and Cornwall) ...English

These peoples are all mixed together anyway and have inter married and moved about for thousands of years. There is no significant difference in ethnicity. This is why on the Britain/Ireland DNA result maps, the regions overlap significantly

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 September 18 12:27 BST (UK) »
Sally, your view is modern PC. It will distort and destroy British history, I hope it doesn't. I'm 75 and been fascinated by the subject all my life.

Very strange as the so called UK is falling apart. Most of the Irish broke away in 1922, Scotland is governed by the SNP, Wales wants independence. Even the Cornish have their own flag. I could explain but it would fall on deaf ears.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 September 18 12:49 BST (UK) »
Sally, your view is modern PC. It will distort and destroy British history

Not sure what you mean.

...Wales wants independence. Even the Cornish have their own flag...

According to polls only about 10% of Welsh people want independence. Even less so in Cornwall

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 September 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
I have known Danish ancestry (and this is verified by my Uncle's Y-DNA - and he is very much my Uncle!) but Ancestry has now decided that I no longer have any Scandinavian DNA at all - very strange - but I am taking this with a fairly large pinch of salt and going with the paper trail and the few facts I am slowly gaining from my Uncle's and my Dad's tests.

Liz

Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 September 18 02:44 BST (UK) »
I was very confused by?the Welsh Irish? Definitions.

My mother has Welsh ancestors but no known Irish ones ....

The first ancestry test she had stated 33% Irish when I queried this they told me Irish and Welsh had been lumped together

Now the?definitions include Welsh

Zhen is more English and has also lost her 7% Scandinavian

My tests seem to have half of her significant numbers

And the scottishness from my father is the other half
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 September 18 13:47 BST (UK) »
I have known Danish ancestry (and this is verified by my Uncle's Y-DNA - and he is very much my Uncle!) but Ancestry has now decided that I no longer have any Scandinavian DNA at all - very strange - but I am taking this with a fairly large pinch of salt and going with the paper trail and the few facts I am slowly gaining from my Uncle's and my Dad's tests.

Liz

Is that from the Isted line? Any autosomal DNA would likely have disappeared if we are talking about Isteds that have been in Sussex since the 1200s. The Y-DNA may be so common now in the UK they do not mark it as scandinavian even if it did ultimately originate there.