Author Topic: Men who transferred to the RFC  (Read 994 times)

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Men who transferred to the RFC
« on: Friday 14 September 18 00:58 BST (UK) »
I have a few instances of men who enlisted into the army but were subsequently transferred to the RFC and then the RAF. 

Although I've found their RFC/RAF records, there is no sign of their army records. 

Much as I'd love to hear that they're tucked away in a cupboard somewhere at RAF HQ, I'm assuming they were, in fact, retained by the army and therefore most likely destroyed during the blitz.  Is anyone able to confirm?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Men who transferred to the RFC
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 September 18 01:58 BST (UK) »
From the Internet a similar answer.

"From April 1918, anyone who had been in the RFC, and who was still serving, whether or not they had also been in any other army unit, would have had their RFC and pre RFC records transferred to the RAF, and they all survived the WW2 Blitz".

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 September 18 02:02 BST (UK) »
Your googling skills are obviously better than mine!  Although the answer begs the question - so where are these records now? 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 September 18 04:27 BST (UK) »
However the site I gave you seems to be for servicemen who were NOT officers.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 September 18 04:43 BST (UK) »
A distant relative of mine. Imperial War Museum holds the records. A bit strange!

British RAF Airmen 1912-1919
Warrant Officers, non-commissioned officers and airmen in the Royal Air Force (RAF) between 1912 and 1919. The record set contains records of more than 300,000 airmen, who were born in over 30 countries.
This source was connected by Imperial War Museums .
Reasons given for this source being related to Thomas Hall Bowes:
Seed Data
This "seed data" source is the official record that was used to create this Life Story.
8 Facts were added in this source of evidence

First Name(s): Thomas Hall
Surname: Bowes
Date Of Birth: 31/12/1897
Service: Air Force (RAF/RFC)
Service No.: 214414

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 September 18 11:07 BST (UK) »
Try this

https://search.findmypast.com/search-world-records/british-royal-air-force-airmens-service-records-1912-1939

Thanks, but I already have the RFC/RAF records, what I'm trying to locate is the army service records from before they transferred into the RFC, which aren't included in this record set.