Author Topic: Who was Frederick Daughy, buried 9-7-1881, Calvary Cemetery NYC?  (Read 535 times)

Offline Michael ONeil

• RootsChat Member
  • O'Neil with 1 L
    • View Profile
Who was Frederick Daughy, buried 9-7-1881, Calvary Cemetery NYC?
« on: Friday 14 September 18 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,

I originally asked this about 4 years ago but I was wondering if anyone else could come up with some fresh ideas.

A odd one this which I thought would be a walk in the park to solve.

I have a family plot at Calvary Cemetery (Woodside NYC). Nineteen burials in 3 graves. All bar one of the burials are family members, in-laws, etc. Family names are Good, Dickers, Carroll, Ames, O'Neil and Beechinor. A couple of variants of spellings but I know exactly how they are all related. The burials start from when the plot was purchased 4-8-1869 and go up to 2-23-1924.

The exception is Frederick Daughy, buried 9-7-1881, age 8, born New York. This is how Calvary have the name spelt and from the date he can't be a leftover from an earlier burial/plot.

Except I have no idea who he was, what the relationship is, nor can I find either a birth or death record and no census listing for 1880.

Most strange?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Michael, Liverpool, UK.
Surnames: O'Neil, Beechinor, Ames, Dickers
Locations: Clonakilty, Cashilisky, Fourcuil, Ringroe, Knuckskagh, New York City, Ohio, Canada, Liverpool.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Frederick Daughy, buried 9-7-1881, Calvary Cemetery NYC?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 September 18 11:11 BST (UK) »
Maybe the son of a friend or neighbor's family or a more extended relative than you've found so far. I've seen it in my wife's family where someone unrelated is buried with the family. Or someone like a grand-niece's baby, etc.

I'll look more closely at the details later today or over the weekend.
Are there Daughty/Doughty/ etc families in the neighborhood?

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 September 18 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've looked at your other posts and your findagrave page for this site, https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/148272116.

The O'Neils were in Brooklyn and the Beechinors were in Manhattan, right?

But who you are probably looking for is a child of a friend or neighbor of the plot owner, Joannah N. Beechinor Goode. Since she owned the plot, she would have to give approval before someone could be buried there.

So the key question is where was Joannah Goode living in 1881 when Frederick Daughy was buried?

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 September 18 15:31 BST (UK) »
Here are a few Doughtys and a Dougherty in the Bronx in 1871, just in case. I don't have ancestry, but I found that year online.

Doughty
  Wm, gardener, northwest corner 3d av & Second
  Charles H, kindling wood, n s Edsell 6th
      house west 3d av
  James, horseshoer, e s 3d av 1st
      house south Fourth street
Dougherty Daniel, carpenter w s Mott 4th
      house west 3d av

http://www.donslist.net/PGHLookups/Bronx1871M.htm

Offline Michael ONeil

• RootsChat Member
  • O'Neil with 1 L
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi folks - sorry for coming back to class late - for some reason I’m not getting email notifications of RootsChat replies. I'll try and answer what I can.

The O'Neils and Beechinors were in Manhattan (Madison Street area) with the exception of one O'Neil son and family being in Brooklyn from 1871-1876.

So far I can't find Joannah in 1880-81 but her sister-in-law was on Madison Street. The last residence I have for Joannah was on Madison Street in 1870.

Strangely the trail goes quiet for Good after 1870 despite the fact that Joannah died in NYC in 1887 and that 3 of her children Anna b.1858 (unmarried) d.1915 NYC, George H. b.1863 d.1888 NYC and Josephine Irene b.1868 m.1907 to Shaw. You'd expect that they would be in the 1880 NYC census somewhere.

I'll need to go and check the city directories. About 10 years ago, I downloaded about 60 years worth but only for the family names I knew then and Good was unknown to me then.
Surnames: O'Neil, Beechinor, Ames, Dickers
Locations: Clonakilty, Cashilisky, Fourcuil, Ringroe, Knuckskagh, New York City, Ohio, Canada, Liverpool.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 16:28 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!