Author Topic: How to edit pdf files  (Read 2953 times)

Offline ray b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to edit pdf files
« on: Friday 14 September 18 10:59 BST (UK) »
hello there
does any one use a free programme to convert pdf files in order edit them or in my case to use google translate for family history Danish to English I don't usually download free programmes as your never sure what comes with them. cannot however afford the full.
rayb

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: pdf files
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 September 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
hello there
does any one use a free programme to convert pdf files in order edit them or in my case to use google translate for family history Danish to English I don't usually download free programmes as your never sure what comes with them. cannot however afford the full.
rayb
I haven't come across any free software to do this. Any good DTP package should do it assuming that the PDF is storing the words as text. Anything more upmarket than the PDF converters in Word or Open Office can convert the content to an image to make resizing easier.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 September 18 11:35 BST (UK) »
I've had the same problem. I have a memory stick with lots of pdf files. Can't open them. Luckily, many have jpeg copies.

If received by e-mail Gmail pdf's are viewable.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 September 18 12:42 BST (UK) »
Ray, I just searched on the internet for "edit PDF free" and found several options. Be sure to try something from a reputable source.  Another option, depending on how the PDF file was created, would just be to open the document copy the entire contents and paste it into your word processor program. Some PDFs will not allow this though.

Regorian, I didn't understand your comment about being unable to open PDF files on a memory stick. If you expand on that I might be able to help.

Martin

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 September 18 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Martin,

I can open them in something like Notepad, but it's just code.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 September 18 12:55 BST (UK) »
I can open them in Word by right clicking on the pdf file and clicking 'Open with'.....

It might be because I have the latest version of Word though.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 September 18 13:02 BST (UK) »
Regorian although some browsers open them, ideally you need a specific PDF program.  Adobe Acrobat is the most well-known, but I use one called Foxit Reader.

https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-reader/

Martin

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 September 18 13:08 BST (UK) »
You can edit PDF files in LibreOffice (it's the same pretty much as OpenOffice). It's a very well known and well trusted office suite which is free. It's available for PC, Linux and Mac.

Download it, and install it.

You then go into LibreOffice Draw (which is past of the Office package), press "Open", and select the PDF you wish to edit.

It then opens up the document that you can then edit.

Occasionally you will find that some PDFs are locked to editing by the use of a password. In those cases unless you have the password you will not be able to edit them using this method.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How to edit pdf files
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 September 18 13:33 BST (UK) »
I got given Open Office by PC World. I hope to not have to go PC World again.