Author Topic: Marske and Redcar, local knowledge needed please  (Read 56 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Marske and Redcar, local knowledge needed please
« on: Friday 14 September 18 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks to several very helpful Rootschatters, I now have one branch of my family traced back to the Marske and Redcar areas ( parish of Marske but described as Redcar on some documents).

On one burial entry in 1783, I have Christopher Gardiner of New Mills. On another, in 1832, Christiana Dove (wife of Joseph Dove of Redcar) of Shields.

I suspect that the Shields bit is actually referring to North Shields, where her married daughter lived and where she might have spent some of her later life but I could be wrong - was there an area/small-holding/hamlet around Redcar called Shields?

New Mills - the only place I can find which might fit is what is now Marske Mill Lane but that is Saltburn not Redcar? In the early 1800s, was there a mill somewhere else in the area which would fit?

Having grown up in Lazenby and spending seven years at school in Redcar, with most of my friends coming from Saltburn, I feel faintly embarrassed at having to ask these questions but in my defence, I left the area in 1969 and have forgotten most of what I once knew!

Any help would be more than welcome. Thanks. :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.