Author Topic: Gallt???? Breconshire Probably near Llanwrtyd  (Read 1137 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gallt???? Breconshire Probably near Llanwrtyd
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 September 18 17:52 BST (UK) »
Interesting that it is very close to a Llwyn Gwychwydd,almost identical to the name in my previous post.

Regards,
Roger

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 September 18 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hello!

Thank you all!
I would never have found it, but I think Gallt-yr-Haiern is probably it... although it seems far away from anywhere for a tailor to reside.... Maybe David Williams was being evasive, as I still haven't found his other son Benjamin born about 1817, seven years later. Anyway, it is very interesting pottering around Breconshire, even on the Internet.
I am attaching a map showing where Gall-yr-Haiern is, just in case others are trying to track Benjamin Williams b. 1817 Wales d. 1906 Columbus Ohio

I am very impressed with the Rootschat community, and very grateful to Greensleeves, Kay99, and despair!

Llanfi,  :) :) :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 September 18 18:04 BST (UK) »
Gallt is synonymous with "Allt" in Welsh. If you look at the Coflein link below which is centered on Cwm Irfon House and pan down a bit, you will see "Alltwineu" . In my opinion, this is what the writer was trying to write on the baptism record. There are also neigbouring rock outcrops and woodland also with what I think are variant spellings. 

Coflein link: http://map.coflein.gov.uk/index.php?action=do_details&cache_name=cGZyZWV0ZXh0LGxsYW53cnR5ZF9zZWFyY2h0eXBlLGFkdmFuY2VkX29yYQ==&numlink=25379#tabs-4

I'd agree with the above suggestion. Gallt-yr-Haiern looks a bit long to me. Allt-wineu,  and the variation Alltwyne House are in the parish of Llanwrtyd Without

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 September 18 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Mabel Bagshaw..

I think you and Sam Swift are right... there is a definite "T" in the name and the area must have been well known in LLanwrytdd.

Better access for a tailor too!

I wonder if David Williams had wealthy relatives in Cwm Irfon house while he lived in the modest dwelling called Alltwinau?

Benjamin and Ebenezer Williams were well established in Radnor Ohio as early as 1840

Benjamin's handwriting in the 1850 RTadnor Census is very elegant!

Cheers,

Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Thanks again...

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 September 18 18:26 BST (UK) »
It's a little tenuous given the timespan involved but there is a David Williams(continuance of family name?) of Llwyngwchwyr(sic) getting married in 1887 in the Methodist Chapel Llanwrtyd.

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4274351/4274355/34/

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 September 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
I have found Alltwine in both the 1841 and 1911 censuses next door to Llwyngwychwyr(or similar).
In 1911 it is occupid by a Daniel Williams)(1860/61),who appears to be the son of Daniel Williams(1815/16).Given the date and biblical sounding name,coud he be another son of David?
Unfortuately Alltwine is not constantly occupied by Williamses.In 1841 head of housrhold is Thomas Parry.

Regards
Roger

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 September 18 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There was another Ebenezer Williams who was baptised in Devynnock about the same time.. he became a C.M. Minister and was listed as such in the 1841 Census, I think I got that Ebenezer Williams mixed up with this one, who is probably the one who emigrated to America.

Llanfi  ??? ??? ??? ???