Author Topic: Samuel Hunter born Four Score Acres Cairncastle 1847 , Antrim, Ireland.  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Hunter born Four Score Acres Cairncastle 1847 , Antrim, Ireland.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 September 18 01:24 BST (UK) »
Samuel Hunter Magill
Birth 1847
Death 13 Jun 1928
Cemetery Moonbi Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place Moonbi, Tamworth Regional Council, New South Wales, Australia

There's Deceased Estate Files, 1859-1958;

Samuel Hunter Magill
Residence Kootingal
Death Date 13 Jun 1928
Occ. Gentleman

Annie

Add...I received a red alert to your message after writing this i.e. will post anyway as others may be researching the same family & come across this thread?

I have no connection to your FH, only helping or trying to  ;)
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 September 18 02:21 BST (UK) »
I am researching Samuel Hunter born to Andrew and Mary Hunter who were married 1844.  On arrival in Australia in 1867 he changed his name to Samuel Hunter Magill.  Anyone out there with any information re Samuel or his family who were rumoured to have gone to Canada.  Cheers , K

Wording is confusing as the above is asking something different to what you're actually researching.
The above suggests Samuel & family (unknown to you) "were rumoured to have gone to Canada"

This would have been more understandable/helpful...

Anyone out there with any information re Samuel (prior to his arrival in Aus) or his family/children who were rumoured to have gone to Canada

Samuel died in Aus (I have all his details of his time in Aus)

His children who were "rumoured to have gone to Canada" are xyz born xyz

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Kieran Magill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 September 18 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,
Apologies for the confusion.  My request was for information relating to Samuel Hunter prior to his arrival in Australia or his parents and siblings (his family who were rumoured to have gone to Canada ).   I have found no information between the 1851 census or 1867 when he left Ulster.  I am currently doing a stat map of all MAGILLs and HUNTERs in the 1851 census to clarify strength of family numbers starting with Four Score Acres.  Ballycoos to the west and Ballyruther to the North both have large numbers so may bear fruit.  Cheers for now, Kieran

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 September 18 22:35 BST (UK) »
Can you please add all the children with dates & where born please for others to try & locate them elsewhere?

Annie

Offline Kieran Magill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,
As per the 1851 Census for Four Score Acres, Cairncastle,County Antrim, family details are :
 Andrew Hunter 32 yrs, Mary Hunter 33 yrs, Samuel Hunter 4 yrs and Elizabeth Hunter 2 yrs.   Between 1851 and 1867 I have no information re these people.  In 1867 Samuel came to Australia aged 20 yrs and I currently need no information abt him from that year on.  Details of his parents and siblings ( nothing to suggest that he had no additional siblings ) between these years and what eventually happened to them is the crux of my research.  My Grandfather was of the opinion that Samuel had come from a large family yet I can find no information.   My request to members is for assistance in 'filling in these gaps' if possible.  Any/all assistance gratefully accepted.  I hope that clarifies the situation better.   Cheers, Kieran

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 11:42 BST (UK) »
Remember that the 1851 census is not complete and only a small portion of a few areas do survive.

Since the birthdates you are looking at are pre civil registration you'll need to check to see if church registers showing baptisms survive. Here's a list of COI registers and where they can be found-
https://www.ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/registers/ParishRegisters/PARISHREGISTERS.pdf

Another online resource if the Valuation Revision Books on PRONI's site. These track a property from the printed version of Griffith's Valuation until c1930 and may help establish the movements of Andrew Hunter and his family. In the case of Four Score Acres townland the books start 1863- Andrew Hunter is in property 2g (house & garden) so likely a labourer meaning the family might have moved about a bit. Still there up to 1882, 1888 changed to Mary Hunter then 1890 to John Hunter. You can search the last two volumes yourself.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/information-and-services/search-archives-online/valuation-revision-books

Death of Mary Hunter, widow of labourer, informant- son John:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1887/06200/4773299.pdf

Son John Hunter & family in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Cairncastle/Fourscoreares/994492
Marriage (1876) John Hunter & Mary Jane Campbell-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1876/11166/8090983.pdf
Likely death for John Hunter (1921)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1921/05086/4396136.pdf

Three of John Hunter's sons in 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Glynn/Ballyedward/194705

Using the same resources you should be able to find lots more information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 12:37 BST (UK) »
Deleted

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kieran Magill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 08:22 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all for the links provided...definitely a step forward. Cheers, Kieran