Author Topic: John and Hannah Griffiths 1700 to 1780  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
John and Hannah Griffiths 1700 to 1780
« on: Sunday 16 September 18 14:14 BST (UK) »
Although I have started this off in England, it also involves Wales. I have tried before and received a lot of high quality advice. However I think it is time to start afresh as I have new information.

John Griffiths was born in Llandogo 1702, lived in Mitcheltroy, Mon., died there, but was buried at Llandogo, 1749. His wife, Hannah died 1780 and was buried in Mitcheltroy.

They had 3 children, Michael 1741 to 1800, Thomas 1743 to 1804 and Tassee (Tacey) 1747 to 1827. Michael buried Monmouth, Thomas buried Llandogo and Tacey buried Whitchurch, Herefordshire.

A cousin employed a genealogist to take my researches back further but was constrained by the first PR's for Llandogo being 1695.

What I would like to know is Hannah's maiden name ie marriage to John and her bapt. date.

On an earlier Thread the trail seemed to lead to Worcester, although that was apparently disproved. Attached is a doc. from Familysearch input by 3 members years ago. 

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John and Hannah Griffiths 1700 to 1780
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 11:34 BST (UK) »
The only one I can find on A…..y in UK.

John Griffiths married Hannah Hayward 5 Jun 1740
Saint Mary, Brewood, Staffordshire

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 12:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you Colin,

I was aware of that one, and there was one in St Johns Bedwardine, Worcester. I had another Thread and the Rootschatters put a lot of effort into it. The Worcester couple appeared to have lived in Worcester until the late 1700's without issue.

Thats why I started afresh and included it under England, because the family movement was northwards from Llandogo to Mitcheltroy and Whitchurch, Herefordshire and then east into Forest of Dean for 19th Century and beyond. No movement west into Monmouthshire with all it's industry.

The Dukes of Beaufort were, and may still be, major landowners in the West Country and up to Worcester. Then, my people may have worked for them.

One intriguing item was in 1757, an entry in Mitcheltroy Parish Disbursements for a shroud and burial of one 'phile' Griffiths. For years I assumed that referred to Tassee Griffiths born 1747. Subsequently I realised that she died in Whitchurch, Herefdsh. 1827, unmarried. aged 80. One very bright Rootschatter suggested 'phile' was Philip Griffiths, born 1660, died 1757, aged 97, buried at Llantilio Crosseny. No doubt an ancient relative living with the family 1757.       
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 14:49 BST (UK) »
I've just done what I should have done ages ago. Prove or disprove John and Hannah, Brewood, Staffs. It can be discounted. A daughter Mary was bapt. 13Nov1741. Michael, Mitcheltroy was bapt. 18Oct1741.

I still have a niggle about Worcester for marriage of John and Hannah . Michael was a common boys name then and there. Not so in Monmouthshire and Gloucestershire. Seen very few.

The descendant of Michael who lives in Gloucestershire and is a Rootschatter noticed the same thing.