Author Topic: Tasmania: White CUTHBERTSON, born 1837, Paisley, Scotland  (Read 924 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Tasmania: White CUTHBERTSON, born 1837, Paisley, Scotland
« on: Sunday 16 September 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hello,

White CUTHBERTSON disembarked in Hobart from the "Equestrian" on 16/12/1852.   His subsequent servitude was largely uneventful and he gained his Ticket-of-Leave on 18/10/1853.   No mention is made of his Certificate of Freedom which should have been awarded on 23/10/1856.

I can find no further reference to him and wonder if anyone can help.

Thank You,

BAC3

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tasmania: White CUTHBERTSON, born 1837, Paisley, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 September 18 02:50 BST (UK) »
I volunteered on a major TAS convicts project recently and we found that many convicts either went to Vic after sentence or remained/died in Tas. Some changed names and have proved impossible to find. Many men died in pauper institutions.
It seems he was only 15, so quite vulnerable, and according to record did not die whilst serving sentence. I can't find him on any TAS deaths records, or VIC. Its highly unlikely that he returned to Scotland ( lack of funds).
Sorry its not much help.
shume   australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 September 18 04:57 BST (UK) »
Also not much help - but given his names, I was wondering if he may have started using WHITE as his surname. Not sure where to go with the search on that, as there will be so many people with that surname.

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 September 18 13:17 BST (UK) »
shume and Westward,

Thank you both for trying.   The name is so unusual I had thought he would be easy to research but Sod's Law rules again!!!

BAC3