Author Topic: Ying Tchong, Liverpool Cafe Proprietor, 1949  (Read 4483 times)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ying Tchong, Liverpool Cafe Proprietor, 1949
« on: Sunday 16 September 18 23:13 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information on Ying Tchong ( Tchong being the family name ) He lived at 105 Upper Parliament Street and was listed on a passenger list as a Cafe Proprietor. He married a woman by the name Rose Turner ( alt Chewng or Cheung ) in 1944 in Liverpool. They had daughters, Beryl and maybe Frances. I was wondering if anyone has any info on them...maybe 1939 register, or other local listings of business including cafes and restaurants. Their address appears to be in an upscale neighborhood and they travelled 1st class on the ship. There may also have been other Tchong family members in Liverpool in the early 1900s. Maybe have been ships crews hired during the war years? Any ideas or assistance greatly appreciated.
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Ying Tchong, Liverpool Cafe Proprietor, 1949
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 September 18 01:38 BST (UK) »
Just checking that the cafe was in Liverpool? Strangely there was also a cake shop/tea rooms at 105 Upper Parliament St Nottingham in 1925/6. (Some advertisements for staff, though it doesn't say who the proprietor was).

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 September 18 02:19 BST (UK) »
I checked the passenger list and it definitely shows them as Liverpool. I did a Google Earth search and the address looks all residential today, but then it was almost 70 years ago so much could have changed. I did see that there was a same address at Nottingham, but that would be too far off.

To add to this...I see a marriage listed for Rose Turner and Ying or Jing Tchong in Liverpool, in 1944, 3rd quarter

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 September 18 03:20 BST (UK) »
Can you post a snip with the details on the passenger ship please & what yr did they emigrate?

Just checking that the cafe was in Liverpool? Strangely there was also a cake shop/tea rooms at 105 Upper Parliament St Nottingham in 1925/6

This was prior to the marriage & would seem too coincidental with the address  :-\

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 September 18 03:33 BST (UK) »
I can't seem to get the "attachments and other options" to work. I had trouble posting tonight so may be a glitch right now. I'll try again in a little while. Maybe I can't add a .jpg clip here?
They travelled aboard the RMS Canton which left Southampton Mar 11 1949 for Hong Kong. The passenger list is on Ancestry.com They appeared to be relocating or returning to Hong Kong as their permanent home. I'm assuming the restaurant was in Liverpool as that is where they were married in 1944. I can't find an inbound passage so assume they lived in Liverpool prior to WW2

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 September 18 07:29 BST (UK) »
You mention 1939 register but they will not be together, presumably, since they didn’t marry until 1944.
Do you have Rose’s details pre-marriage or are you asking for her birth, parents etc?
You have mentioned their daughter(s). We are not allowed to post names of persons who might still be living.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 September 18 08:35 BST (UK) »
London Gazette  https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices

Tchong in Text searchfield returns 1 hit. Clicking on hit shd return page 330.

To view reason for listing, click on drop down menu in Page field and select page 314.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 September 18 08:36 BST (UK) »
I can't seem to get the "attachments and other options" to work.

You cannot do attachments on this board. If you want to include attachments post on another board.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 September 18 08:53 BST (UK) »
There's current activity on this site re. Tchong -  http://siyigenealogy.proboards.com