Author Topic: Ying Tchong, Liverpool Cafe Proprietor, 1949  (Read 4489 times)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ying Tchong, Liverpool Cafe Proprietor, 1949
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 September 18 09:21 BST (UK) »
Did he also sometimes call himself Thomas Tchong as one travels in 1951 on the Chusan to Hongkong from London  and his birth year is 1909 like Ying Tchong's birth year?

I thin there is also a possibility that the daughter(s) you mention are actually just one person renamed? Can you rule this out? Have you checked freebdm to see if you can pick up a Tchong birth with a maidename of Turner/Cheung ect

One girl born in 1844 and one born in 1845 is not a big window for one to be born in HongKong and the mother to be widowed and remarried in England
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 September 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you could look at Turners from Hongkong living in England and see if there is some link to Rose?

Daisy Florence Turner was born in 1886 in Hongkong and
Dorothy Margaret Turner was born in 1892 in Hongkong.

Looking at marriages I think both these ladies married in Wandsworth so I think they are relatives to each other. Daisy I believe married a John Young and Dorothy a Walter Flexman.

Rose Turner was born in 1915? Could these ladies have been her Aunts?

Daisy Florence Turner lived in Lambeth district and I can see a Tchong birth reistered in just 1998 in the Lambeth district could be a coincidence or (since it seems to be a rare surname in England) a Turner/Tchong great grandchild??

A few things to prehaps look at?
Perhaps I am drawing at straws?

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 September 18 11:26 BST (UK) »
Good leads, thank you, all worth checking
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 September 18 12:14 BST (UK) »
You could firstly get the marriage certificate to see re occupation, address, father’s name etc.
September 1944 Liverpool South shows

Ying Tchong and Rose Turner
Ying Tchong and Rose Chewng
Also Tchong Ying with those variants.

There may be clues on the certificate.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 September 18 13:02 BST (UK) »
the 1944 marriage record has
Rose Turner to Jing Tehong - not Ying Tchong - or is the freebmd  transcription a Mistranscription ??

ADDED - that is strange - put in marriage 1944 Rose Turner and it comes up
Tehong Jing    8b 196
put in Tehong - no result
put in Tchong and it comes up Ying Tchong to Rose Turner

Marriages Sep 1944   (>99%)

BRUCE  George L  Price  Liverpool S.  8b 196   Scan available - click to view
CHEWNG  Rose  Ying  Liverpool S.  8b 196   Scan available - click to viewAdditional information available - click to view
CHEWNG  Rose  Tchong  Liverpool S.  8b 196   Scan available - click to viewAdditional information available - click to view
PRICE  Gladys M  Bruce  Liverpool S.  8b 196   Scan available - click to view
TCHONG  Ying  Turner  Liverpool S.  8b 196   Scan available - click to viewAdditional information available - click to view
TCHONG  Ying  Chewng  Liverpool S.  8b 196   Scan available - click to viewAdditional information available - click to view
TURNER  Rose  Jing  Liverpool S.  8b 196   Scan available - click to viewAdditional information available - click to view
TURNER  Rose  Tehong  Liverpool S.  8b 196   Scan available - click to viewAdditional information available - click to view
YING  Tchong  Turner  Liverpool S.  8b 196   Scan available - click to viewAdditional information available - click to view
YING  Tchong  Chewng  Liverpool S.  8b 196   Scan available - click to viewAdditional information available - click to view
any one educate me please ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 September 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone. I think the Ying Tchong name is correct, and there are some mistranscriptions. The passenger list in 1949 on the RMS Canton looks clear and there are references to the name in Hong Kong. While the name "Tchong" is not overly common, it at least appears, whereas "Tehong" doesn't.
The Turner information is good and a 1915 birth date for Rose would be in line with his of 1909. The other Turner ladies could indeed be related. The name "Chewng" doesn't seem to make sense unless it was a previous marital name for Rose. I'm wondering now if his naturalization in the UK was one of convenience or necessity as they were already married in 1944. Maybe it was just something that would have been a good idea, all things considered and would have made future travel easier. I think sending for the 8b 196 doc might help.

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 September 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you could look at Turners from Hongkong living in England and see if there is some link to Rose?

Daisy Florence Turner was born in 1886 in Hongkong and
Dorothy Margaret Turner was born in 1892 in Hongkong.

Looking at marriages I think both these ladies married in Wandsworth so I think they are relatives to each other. Daisy I believe married a John Young and Dorothy a Walter Flexman.

Rose Turner was born in 1915? Could these ladies have been her Aunts?

Daisy Florence Turner lived in Lambeth district and I can see a Tchong birth reistered in just 1998 in the Lambeth district could be a coincidence or (since it seems to be a rare surname in England) a Turner/Tchong great grandchild??

A few things to prehaps look at?
Perhaps I am drawing at straws?

I came up with a couple more names on the Turner women, Dorothy M Turner and a man named Percy on the 1939 register.
Interesting that there is still a Tchong as recent as 1998. It's an odd enough name that none should be ruled out as I would think they would have a connection.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 08:32 BST (UK) »
Naturalisation Certificate
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11881188

Not sure what info. it would deliver that you don't already know. Think I saw a cost of £27.40 to order? 

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 20:57 BST (UK) »
A couple of things strike me....the similarity in sound for "Chewng" and "Tchong" I'm helping a friend do some tracing here and it seems there were children adopted out. The Beryl Tchong, age 4,  who left with Rose and Ying Tchong in 1949 on the RMS Canton for Hong Kong, was likely adopted by them, whether legally or some sort of informal arrangement, I don't know. I appears that Rose Tchong maybe had a maiden name of Turner. Ying Tchong may have been her second marriage. The first one might have been in Hong Kong ( maybe that's Chewng? ) It's complicated for sure. Ying Tchong was well enough off for them all to travel 1st Class on the Canton. As they married in 1944, her was probably in Liverpool prior to the war, and may have been established there.